SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycgoose_gw

Frustration with a kitchen 'designer'

nycgoose
15 years ago

I have been getting numerous quotes from various kitchen "designers" from different cabinet showrooms. I have gotten quotes anywhere from 4K to 60K for my kitchen depending on brand and material. I am doing a high-end ultra-modern renovation. I have never had any problems with any of the designers giving me a quote either on the spot or after working out a "design" ... until now.

As I live in Manhattan, I had to rent a car to see this showroom, European Kitchen Center in Whitestone, NY. After meeting with the designer and choosing two different cabinets for quotes, I left her to work out a kitchen design. During the meeting I kept asking her for a price range, a ball-park, anything, but she kept on saying she needed to design it first. FINE.

So she just called me back saying she has finished the design (after one week) and whether I can come back to the showroom. I asked her if she can give me the quote first. She said she has the design but hasn't worked out the price yet. I said to call me back after she has the price then we can arrange an appointment. She said that it shouldn't be too expensive since I only have room for a couple of cabinets. I told her that her definition of "not too expensive" and my definition is most likely different, so it would be more helpful if she actually gave me a ballpark number. She wouldn't give me the price unless I come back to the showroom. I explained to her that it is very inconvenient for me to rent a car just to go to the showroom and that it would be very helpful if I know the price range so at least I can know if it is worth the trip. She refused. I thanked her for her help and hung up.

Honestly, I don't need them. I have another kitchen showroom that I am very interested in, but this whole experience was soooo frustrating. Am I crazy?

Of course there is no way that I am going to buy anything from them (although they also have some interior doors that I really like .... ) I've been trying to calm down and not let this insane situation bother me, but I am still fuming! Should I write a complaint to the owners of this establishment, or ask to work with another designer, or should I just let it go?

Comments (34)