SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladelta_gw

Help! Granite tops not level! LONG

13 years ago

I had my beautiful Typhoon Bordeaux countertops installed in my U-shaped kitchen, 3 pieces. The middle section that houses the sink was installed (glued) first. The installer casually mentioned that it was not quite level, but it was too late to make adjustments because the granite might break. The left leg of the "U" that houses the cooktop was installed with no problem. However, they struggled to install the right peninsular, blaming in on the new cabinet that was not level and square. They placed shims under the cabinet to make it "level". I mentioned to them that in the future, when they took measurements, that they checked the condition of the cabinets so that corrections could be made by the cabinet installer.

Finished countertop to my untrained eye looks good (meaning it's pretty) and I paid them for their labor. I paid the stone yard out right for the slab. My contractor came in the next day and went crazy...he could see right away that the peninsular is not level...off by 3/8 of an inch, sloping from the outer edge towards the wall. My GC is very finicky, and checked the cabinets when they were installed and said that everything was OK. He called the fabricator who blamed the installation on the faulty (?) cabinet, and said that it was not his job to level the cabinet, but to level the countertop, which he clearly did not do. He also admitted that the sink section started off not level, but he couldn't move it. Both my GC and the cabinet man knew right away where the installtion went wrong. I am hoping to get all 3 guys together Monday morning. I was able to stop payment on the check.

Now....what do I do? My GC insists that it be changed out. The cabinet guy asked if I could live with it. They both agree that the granite will probably break if moved. I just don't see the fabricator replacing the slab on his dime. I have contemplated splitting the cost of the slab, my husband says no. If I have to buy another slab, I will most certainly hire someone else to do the fabrication. Another concern that I have is damaging the cabinets.

any advice?

Comments (16)