SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ella_socal

Anyone have a laminated edge in their marble?

ella_socal
13 years ago

We plan on purchasing a new home and chose Gold Yule Vein (white) marble countertops for the kitchen. The standard edge was a squared edge, which I chose rather than mitered (apparently a mistake), partly because the mitered edge was an extra 1/2" thick, it was more $$ and I didn't think the difference would be a big deal, given my past experiences with seams. Anyway, the countertops were just installed and the laminated square edge looks horrible -- a thick white line/seam running through the middle of the edge of the marble. It's obvious upon entering the kitchen and makes the countertops look cheap (rather than giving the illusion of a thick piece of marble). I've had other laminated edges and the seam has *never* been that obvious. You can see it if you look for it, but it doesn't stand out. I've brought up my complaint with the builder, but am wondering: is a thick white seam at all normal with white marble? It almost looks like the glue seeped into the marble. I should note that the seam in the guest bath's carrera marble slab is also very visible and white, but the seam in the master bath's beige limestone is barely visible. I'm wondering if the fabricator just isn't familiar with seams in white marble and goofed big time? Can the laminated edge be removed and turned into a mitered edge with the countertops in place? If I go back this weekend, I will take pictures and post them.

Comments (2)