SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
slush1422

Cabinet Latches - Yes or too much work?

slush1422
11 years ago

I'm going crazy trying to figure out about our cabinet hardware. Our drawers will have cup pulls which I already have in my hot little hands from Top Knobs.

From Kitchen - BEFORE & inspiration

I LOVE the cabinet latches look on the shaker doors. DH likes the look as well BUT he is worried about the ease of using. I've done many searches on GW via google to even catch old threads. My take is that most people love them, and have no issues with having to turn the knob to open the door, and having to just grab either the actual door, or the little metal piece (not sure what it's called) that the catch goes into. I think that is what is holding DH back the most from being okay with them. How the heck do you open the door that doesn't have the knob?

After months of going back and forth, DH finally said it's not something he feels so strongly about that he's going to veto it, so I went ahead and ordered them from Horton Brass. I was so excited when the arrived just a few days later. Well - since we are doing Ikea Adel White doors - they are a bit rounded and the small latches do not fit :( I was so bummed and we will have to return them now, and re-order. I am pretty sure that the larger ones will fit though so that hopefully will not be the problem. The problem is now DH is questioning them again, and I am also second guessing myself. Will they be easy to use, or will we hate them after a while?

Please - if anyone has them in their kitchen, chime in and give your opinions and let us know if they are a pain or not. I'd like to order them asap. My other option is, maybe just to do one on the sink cabinet, and one on the top fridge cabinet, and then have the little glass knobs instead on all the other cabinet doors. I know that will be just as nice, I have just been dreaming of those stupid latches since becoming TKO. Here are some kitchen pictures so you can get an idea of how things will look. TIA!

latches:

Inspiration (Katieob's former kitchen)

My kitchen in progress:

From Moon Night Granite Install

Still missing some doors and the others need adjusting

From Moon Night Granite Install

Comments (61)