FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp_gw

Comments on Kitchen Layout - Please!

seosmp
10 years ago

Hi,

I am re-doing my kitchen (it needs re-doing :)).

Main Goals:

- move cooktop off island

- bigger island with seating (narrow stools, mostly to be used by kids/ breakfast)

- 2 ovens

- better layout and finishings for eventual re-sale (10+ years from now)

Basics:

- 4 person household, 2 school-age kids, no cooks (although I'd like to)! Homework done at kitchen table.

- there is no traffic pattern through the kitchen really (2nd opening to formal dining room rarely used)

- the entire back length of the house is open - kitchen to left, kitchen table in middle, family room to right. No need to open any walls (I want to keep the formal dining room).

Layout drawing details:

- not to scale, it's 168" (cooktop wall) x 166.5" (sink wall) area

- appliances/sink are in black/bold text

- corner cabinet is one cabinet, I actually have been drawing each wall separately, and then combined/rotated for the layout to post here. I'm trying to work out the cabinet details (drawers/pull-outs, sizes, etc.). Sorry for the upside-down text.

- I am moving cooktop gas line and moving/adding plumbing for a pot-filler above the cooktop and for new frig location, and new venting for hood

- I am hoping to widen kitchen window and make counter-height (thanks to GW!!). Depends on cost.

- hard to see, but there is a 4.5" filler to left of frig to aid in left frig door opening (although a friend of mine has the same layout and says it's fine with a 1" filler - I know it depends on the frig as well, but I'm liking the layout with the 4.5" filler (30" uppers around hood)).

- aisles - I have a friend with 39" distance b/w island and sink/DW - we have never noticed any issue with space; also, I realize 42" behind island seating is tight, but I don't foresee these being used often (I plan to get those narrow stools that will fit right under). For some reason, I'm set on a 37" wide island :)

- I do not want a prep sink as I do not think I'd use it.

Planned finishes:

- all new stainless appliances

- stainless apron front sink - single bowl (looking at Kohler Vault)

- outer cabinets - maple w/ espresso glaze

- island cabinets and cabinets by table - cherry w/ espresso stain/glaze

- counter - granite w/ earthtones, not too dark, ogee edge

I'm hoping to avoid any major regrets - both with general layout and cabinet layout!!

THANKS!

P.S. I have 2 files to post... so bear with me...

Comments (14)