SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smbh_gw

Please comment on my kitchen plan and materials

smbh
13 years ago

I have been lurking here for a while after getting initial plans from a KD. I have some concerns about the plan and am meeting with her to get round 2. I would really appreciate your advice on this plan and my materials chosen so far (don't hold back!). Here is the design:

What you can't see -- at the bottom of the page the kitchen opens to our family room (big couch, TV, etc.)On the left bottom, there is a large opening to the entryway of the house, and the dining room is off the page to the left (the pocket door at top left goes to the dining room). In case the plans are hard to read: On the left side of the kitchen there is a shallow (12") pantry with glass uppers. Starting at top left corner and proceeding to the right: refrgierator (Miele 48" fully integrated), double ovens (Dacor 30"), then cabinetry/super susan (on top a small upper/appliance garage, then there's a window), on the right, sink under window (Blanco 440302 single bowl), Miele integrated DW (Diamonte? Inspira?) with one upper cabinet glass on top, then pull out garbage and big lower cabinets under windows down the right, until the wall stops at slider to the back yard. The island will house a MW drawer (Dacor) and the rangetop (Dacor epicure) and seat 6. Cabinets will be Columbia Maple Cashmere around the perimeter, clear alder Hermosa for the island, and flooring is Walnut (7") here is a pic of the colors:

Counters are Forest green limestone/granite -- rough finish (not sure what that's called, but it's not glossy and all of the veins pop out etc.)

We are a family of 4 (2 young kids). We don't do a ton of cooking but want a functional kitchen that is a warm, nice place to hang out and do homework/projects/etc. We tend to have a lot of "stuff" so I would love opinions on how to configure cabinets for best storage. I'm a bit concerned about current placement of fridge next to pocket door. Am also considering whether to do a 2nd micro (or micro/convection) instead of the 2nd oven since we tend to use our microwave a lot and, other than the holidays, we rarely would need two real ovens. Am concerned that even though we are extending footprint of the kitchen (currently we have a peninsula that cuts this design in half, and a round table under the windows by the slider) we are cutting storage with a narrow pantry. Also would love feedback on flow of design.

Sorry for the long post -- but all feedback is much appreciated!

Comments (7)