SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Compost jars for green waste faqs

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Since I get asked about this one in other threads, I'll start a thread dedicated to this subject.

A compost jar is a utensil crock sized jar with a tight fitting lid that can be used for green waste. Its contents get added to a compost bin if you have one, or in my neighborhood the green trash (yard waste) bin; either way, the idea is to create nutrient-rich mulch for plants instead of adding to landfills. I don't compost -- I'm sure that somewhere on GARDENweb is a forum devoted to that -- but I do engage in aggressive recycling. My compost jar gets everything that my chickens won't eat, for example, lettuce past its prime, tough ends of asparagus, bell pepper seeds, apple peels, strawberry tops, and coffee grounds. Corks from wine bottles go in here too.

In this pic you can see my compost crock next to the range behind the oranges. This one came from BB&B for $30:

Here is a link to Williams-Sonoma's $50 stainless version. W-S also has a ceramic version like BB&B's. When I first learned about compost crocks the thread had links to various $60 versions from organic/natural websites, but I'm cheap and lazy :) You could probably repurpose a regular canister too. The key is to make sure it has a tight fitting lid to reduce yucky smells (odor absorbing carbon filters are nice but IMO not essential), and not to let things pile up in there too long. I line mine with a (recyclable) plastic bag. The GW thread where I first learned about this had a debate on whether to keep the jar under the sink or on the counter; I keep mine on the counter because it gets used daily and I don't mind working appliances being left on the counter.

HTH,

Blue (who is green too)

Here is a link that might be useful: W-S compost jar

Comments (17)