SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Replace rustic slate floor? Honed quartzite or soapstone?

juddgirl2
9 years ago

We're remodeling our kitchen and are planning on staying in the same footprint so we're thinking of keeping the existing slate floor. My first preference would have been to carry the wood floors in from adjoining rooms, but DH prefers tile and we've used slate inside and outside the house.

Our current floor has 24" square California Gold slate tiles with a border in smaller black/gray slate. It complements the same slate ledge rock we used for the fireplace and exterior hardscaping. Also, not replacing the floor will save money that can be used elsewhere. But, it's set on a diagonal and my preference would be a different pattern and a more solid color. If I replaced the floor I would probably use a large format solid grayish black slate floor similar to the one shown below, either in a brick or random pattern.

So, my first question is do you think it's worth replacing the floor to get a different look or should I keep the one I have? DH would do the work so it's the cost of materials and his time. The cabinets will be SW Dover White, a creamy off-white, and the hardware will be oil rubbed bronze. When I google white cabinets and slate floors, I prefer the more solid floors over the variation in color, but both look nice.

My second question is what counters would look best with a rustic slate floor? I'm leaning towards soapstone and think this would definitely work, but I also love the lighter, honed quartzites, either Calacatta or Taj Majal. Also, a lighter stone might brighten up my kitchen, which doesn't get much natural light (there's a sliding glass door but no other windows unless we put in a solar tube).

I'm not sure that the quartzite will work with these rustic slate floors though (is it too fancy?!) and haven't found many examples when searching online. What do you think?

Thank you!

Inspiration floors:

My floors:

Wood floor in adjoining room:

Example of slate in some hardscaping just outside kitchen:

Slate fireplace (during construction - the collection of DH's items on the mantle aren't there now!):

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 11:55

Comments (22)