SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

I hear the sound of pipes...

formerlyflorantha
13 years ago

An unexpected result of our elaborate redo of the wall that had formerly been a bank of cupboards and is now our breakfast nook is noise.

I'm the one who persistently posts about the impact of sound. How could I have ignored the implication of removing a bank of lower cupboards when behind them there's a tub, toilet, and sink drain which serve the bathroom on the other side of the wall? We even had the blinkin' wall open because we redid all the 1950s plumbing in it--a multi-week delay of the kitchen project. Why didn't we put sound insulation in there at the same time? Especially because DH is so proud that we have much stronger water pressure since the redo!

Now, as I listen to the radio or a recorded book and work in the unfinished kitchen, I am treated to the sound of the flush of every bathroom user, and the sound of the tub/shower is similar. It's like when I once lived near Boeing Field--it's enough to stop conversation until the sound is done.

We had already planned to put a sound absorbing product around the dishwasher housing and on the range vent leading up into the attic. (We had to put a similar product on the vents leading from our new Econar geothermal heat unit after we married two old furnace runs because there was a vibration echo running along them that interrupted conversation and shook the dining room floor.) Some of the same substance is going to be put into any exposed areas proximate to the bathroom plumbing, if I get my way! If only I could turn back the clock two months to put some into the wall!

The Elemental Designs (Iowa) product cited below is much cheaper than the one we bought from auto renovator supply we used on our floor ducts. It's a foot wide and $1 per foot. It has the benefit of also being a sort of a waterproofing to fight damage from steam in the dishwasher housing. The company also sells other kinds of sound dampening products, including a paint-on product. I talked to them on phone and they even made a recommendation based on where the sound occurs on the audio frequency spectrum. Website is counterintuitive, so it will take some clicking to find what they are selling. Phone might be better than website for help.

Here is a link that might be useful: sound dampening product

Comments (10)