SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whenicit

Dinnerware Quandry or maybe afraid of change?

whenicit
12 years ago

This should be a simple question for most of you pros...I have used Mikasa French Countryside dinnerware since being married in 1988. As you can imagine, some of the pieces have broken and been replaced. Generally speaking it is all in good shape except for the dinner plates, which have multiple chips and the stoneware has discolored some, mostly in the center of the plates.

So...I need new plates but not necessarily any new bowls, salad plates, cups, saucers, etc.

1) Should I buy new plates and call it done? Will the color be markedly different given the 'used' vs. 'new' pieces?

2) Should I go with a new pattern and box up the old? My current house is a bit more contemporary but truly they are just what we eat off of...I tend to be practical in that regard.

DH and DS's are used to the current plate size, pattern, etc. and I guess I don't really have too much passion about it but for those of you who have used the same dinnerware for decades, do you prefer it that way or do you wish you would have changed it all out?

Comments (24)