SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

White Appliances and other musings...

grlwprls
11 years ago

Taking my own advice - and also relying on a very extensive in person real estate search here in my new town - I've been looking at real estate listings in my ZIP code to see what's up in local kitchen design (the local "homes" magazine notwithstanding since I don't travel in those circles).

My plan has been to do the following (in a nutshell)

- white, non beaded flush inset with a plain door

- chrome faucet (no potfiller this time around although I did love it and use it)

- white enameled Bertazzoni range (I don't mind the Euro sized oven)

- re-use the brand new SS Bosch DW that the PO installed to sell the place

- install the new Whirlpool white ice series 25 cu ft sxs fridge (silver handles)

- either soapstone or a light quartzite for the countertop (had soapstone, loved it - not sure about wanting to go high contrast again since the cabs would be pretty "white white" to blend with the white appliances)

That said, I see that 87% of the real estate listings still feature old white/bisque appliances or entry level stainless accented appliances.

So, does that mean that majority of buyers are still going to be yearning for stainless 5-8 years down the road when I hope to sell this place to a new, young family?

I keep saying this is a modest home, but the reality is, it isn't for this area. Its overall value has taken a hit because of the poor renovation choices (for instance, none of the bedrooms -with the exception of the attic which has no door!! - are independent of one another. There are a series of sliding barn doors to create rooms. You also have to walk through a rather yucky Miami Vice bathroom to get to the master bedroom which can barely hold a queen sized bed - but that's a different forum)

Ultimately, bad renovation has probably cost this house about $50-75K in value. Our goal is to restore that value and restore function and honor to this 1920's charmer.

To me, I've had high end kitchens with SubZero (in fact I have one now, it just doesn't work on the fridge side) and a fridge is simply something that keeps food cold. But am I shooting myself in the foot with a white fridge even if the place is packed with cabinets and counter space? I think I watch too much House Hunters (which is understandable seeing as it's on all night every night)

The range is where I want to spend my appliance $$$. I'm still going back and forth about range size 30" or 36"? The 30" I have now seems crazy cramped when I have all my pans on there, but the stove is also shoved into a clipped corner where the wall ovens apparently used to be. But, it seemed like I never needed all the space on my 36" and that goes double for the 48" I had two houses ago!

Gosh, maybe this is why you shouldn't design for resale. Knowing what Future Buyer may like is *hard* And then there's that episode of House Hunters where the woman rejected nearly every home because she "hates white cabinets!!!!!!!" :-)

Comments (21)

• wallycat
    11 years ago

Consumer reports (a few months ago) noted that "they" think stainless is out. "They" think that the new white metallic (I think they call it white ice)is going to be popular since they noted that the oiled bronze and the deep blues are not holding.
    I have decided that I am putting in what I can afford and what I like at this moment. Appliances don't last as long as they used to so the odds of me having to replace them again is a real possibility (hope not, but being realistic).
    And to design for a future buyer is useless because we all have such different taste.

The new-to-me house had granite tile for counters. I detest them. I detest tile counters (grout, piece-y looking to me) and I hate the coldness of granite. When I asked a reliable realtor if it was wise to gut and replace, she gasped..."but you have granite..." ...whatever....crappy granite to my mind. We cannot afford to gut the whole kitchen, so we bought an IKEA slab to redo the island at least. If we were forced to sell, the new owners can gut my work and replace it.

The appliances here were the white ice and I like it. I have never been a fan of stainless (I don't hate it I just refuse to pay more for it on principle). If it had stainless, it would not have convinced us either way to buy or not buy since, again, appliances can be easily replaced as they break down (IMHO).

Buy what you like and what speaks to your design voice.
    Someone else may be singing your same tune :-)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would rather have a white Bertazzoni than an entry level $500 stainless range, so the quality of the appliances will have something to do with it.

It depends upon whether the buyer watches House Hunters, and listens to this kind of information. People can be rather influenced by what "experts" and other people say.

I had a client doing a kitchen that said she wanted cherry colored cabinets and black granite countertops. When I got to the bottom of where this was coming from (it sounded unlike her), it was because what her friend who worked at Home Depot said people preferred. I talked her out of it, not because I didn't want to give her what she wanted...but because it was not because I thought she really wanted.

So people will have these ideas of what they think the "touchstones" of a quality kitchen are, and right now these are granite and stainless appliances, irrespective of the actual quality of the kitchen.

• Related Discussions

If you have white kitchen appliances, what color white for basebo

Q

Comments (5)
    BM Dove White is a nice white because it can go with either warm or cool colors. that's the color I'm think of doing throughout my Cottage for the trim and moldings and I have a white kitchen also. In the end, I think any of the "pastel' whites would look pretty. I wouldn't worry about the white appliances being identical to the trim.
    ...See More

Which white paint goes with white appliances?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know who makes Snowy Egret? Also, I've seen stuff for painting appliances, but I didn't think that would work on cabinets, or would it?
    ...See More

Off white Cabinets/white appliances??

Q

Comments (10)
    I think it can be done but it's tricky, especially if you fail to choose your off-white carefully. Too warm and creamy and either your cabs will look dirty or the appliances will look starkly white, almost grayish. If you find the right off-white and if you select shades of white for your other finishes, creating a kitchen that is a study in white, it could work. IMO, the kitchen meowser posted misses - none of the finishes relate to the other and there's nothing that ties it all together. I prefer seeing more contrast, like this one: You might be able to turn up photo examples others have posted by doing a site search on white appliances. That should help you figure out what you like and what makes a white/off-white combination work.
    ...See More

White dishwasher with other stainless appliances??

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks to everyone for all your feedback! I'm happy to go either way (SS or white) but just trying to visualize what will look best in the space. I think SS would look great but wonder if it won't segment things a bit... I hear the feedback about the whites never truly matching, so either way the dishwasher would stand-out/break up the run of white cabinets... I can't seem to find any dishwashers that are in the mid-range for price and panel-ready (would answer all my dilemmas;-) If only life were that easy! Maybe Santa will bring me a panel dishwasher if I'm really nice this year!
    ...See More
  • lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I like white appliances and if they will look good in the overall room...why wouldn't someone love it? If they don't appreciate your kitchen, they'll probably not only replace the appliances but rip out the backsplash and countertops, too. Seems to be a favorite thing to do on House Hunters...which has become very boring, so I quit watching it. Occasionally, I still watch House Hunters International, but only if they're in Paris or the English countryside :)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Last week Houzz said that younger buyers will want white cabs and stainless appliances. Frankly, I don't care what the next person wants. I've told the story before about my first condo in the 80's where I put in rosy pink carpeting against well-meant advice. A few years later, that condo sold a week after going on the market, and the new owner specifically liked the pink carpet. You never can tell. Put in what you like. It's too much money to spend just to please someone else, especially someone hypothetical.

I stopped watching House Hunters, too, but it was because all those entitled 20-something couples looking for their first house and sneering at anything other than SS and granite made me sick.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I'll admit that this renovation is being bid *a lot* higher than I expected because, after doing a gut renovation of a building that wasn't designed for residential living, I guess I have different ideas of what things should cost? Granted, I'm "moving utilities", but this is in a raised house with a stand up crawl space. And, moving the sink and gas really aren't optional since their current locations are what make the kitchen entirely non functional. I'd figured I was going to be able to finish the first floor - new kitchen, cosmetic face lift to half bath *and* decor for a budget of $5x,xxx. Apparently, this kitchen is going to run me more than I'd carved out for it.

And I had Shiloh inset cabs before...so that's not where the sticker shock is coming in. I had no idea that a bit of framing and re plumbing a bar sink (because there is a sink where I want the "new" main one) and moving a gas line less than 3 ft (when there is gas running to other places under the house and beyond the new stove location) could be so dear. I will admit that the electrical service in the kitchen needs GFCI outlets.

But I swear they think I'm a sucker because I'm a doctor's wife. I can't believe the "construction costs" are $25k. The cabinet bid and countertop allowance was exactly in line with my expectations. So, honestly, stainless appliances aren't going to fit into my budget since appliances and other fixtures are outside their bids!

Again, maybe I watch too much "Love it or List It!" because I think my budget is more than generous for what I want to do on this floor of the house. Or the Canadian dollar just goes a lot further than the Arkansas one does :-)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Those construction costs seem high to me, too, and I'm in upstate New York.

How much could you save if you ditch the gas and get induction instead? Lots of us love induction, including some former gas users. You'd have to have an electrical line run - maybe 40 or 50 amp. But you could put the range anywhere you want. Viking has a sweet one, as seen in this thread. Bertazzoni makes induction, too, don't they?

Here is a link that might be useful: Racing Red Induction

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If there wasn't already a gas line almost immediately under where I want to put a new range I'd serious consider induction (I have a single burner that I used during both my remodels before the kitchen was back online...) but then I suspect I'd probably have to upgrade my electrical service.

I'm thinking my first job here is going to be project manager. And when these guys ask me what my husband does, I'm just going to say that I'm not at liberty to discuss it! ;-)

That said, I'd also gotten a quote for cabinets from Home Depot (because I'll admit I like the MS line) and that may be where I end up to get this reno in at or under budget.

These bids are simply outrageous - coming in around $185 a sq. ft. for the 270 sq. ft. kitchen which in its current configuration seems painfully small. Actually, the awful space planning makes the whole house seem small and it really, truly isn't. But a few poorly planned aisles and a big room can feel way too cramped. The upstairs bath is 1/4 of the entire floor's square footage and you'd never know it when you're shoving by the poor soul at the vanity with 18" between the counter and edge of the multi level shower surround!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

How do they know you are a Dr's wife?

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They ask what I do (stay at home) and then they ask what my husband does (he's a doctor). It's the South. I think folks are just chatty that way. I'm thinking I should say he's in sales or something. And as far as the cabinet shop and kitchen designer, my husband was actually there and owned up to his profession.

That said, is $185 sq. ft. crazy for a renovation? I'm fairly certain it is since it's significantly more than I paid for a gut whole house renovation with very, very high end finishes. But this is a new market to me. That said, I don't think this city is particularly dripping with affluence.

• Bobby99
    11 years ago

I'm a Canadian, and I find the prices on Love it or List it ridiculously low, so don't feel bad - we don't get more value north of the border :)

Regarding your initial post, Sarah Richardson recently redid a kitchen with white appliances from Ikea. I thought they looked fantastic. They have sleek stainless handles, which make them look a little more upscale. I suppose there will always be buyers who prefer granite and stainless, regardless of quality or design, but I optimistically hope that even House Hunters will appreciate modern white appliances in a well designed kitchen. I hope this link works for people in the US - if it doesn't, try doing a Google image search for Sarah Richardson "Baker's Kitchen." It should show up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah Richardson's Baker's Kitchen

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

There's no way to predict what will be popular sometime in the future, so make yourself happy. I prefer white appliances myself, but I can't bring myself to pop for the Viking induction range and am currently debating stainless vs. wall oven installed under a cooktop.

Bertazzoni doesn't sell an induction range in the U.S. The Viking is cool, but it costs $4K more than the E'lux to perform the exact same function.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

I agree with above, it's hard to predict. All I know is that I don't think I could ever do white appliances again. Brings back memories of the cheapo white appliances in my college apartment. No style, so bland. I like stainless, colors (blue stoves are cool!) and paneled fridges and dishwashers that blend with the cabinetry. But we're all different, right? If we all prefered the same thing, life would be pretty boring ;-)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I think for where you are, they are trying to seriously rook you. I'd dismiss them and go elsewhere. Maybe GC the project yourself.

Whenever I get bids, it is common for the highest price to be double the lowest price, and often the highest price is from a contractor or firm that is clearly the least competent.

• User
    11 years ago

I agree, if you don't work outside the home, then consider saving money by GC-ing yourself.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have any issues doing the project management by myself, but I had secretly hoped that by hiring it done, I would be looking at a short, sweet project. That said, I've hired a GC to do jobs in the past and none impressed with their ability to coordinate trades (plus, I hated paying their markup on stuff I hustled all over town to find at the best price!). About the only time any contractor I've hired has ever shown up on time and as expected was on draw day. Not that I'm bitter. :-)

I went under the house yesterday and there is absolutely no reason why a raised house with a standup crawl space *and* with services exactly where I want the new services should come in at $6500 for plumbing. A plumber charges $75/hr here. They are not supplying fixtures - just some tie in PVC - and I hardly think this job is anywhere in the ballpark of an 86 hour job for a competent plumber! Hell, I'm a crappy plumber and I could do it in less than 86 hours!

Bobby99 - love that Sarah Richardson kitchen! That's basically exactly what I'm seeing in my mind's eye - an updated traditional space. Getting back to a home-y kitchen. Not so much a pseudo professional space. A kitchen where I don't have to have a microfiber rag tucked in the back of my apron or to chase off anyone who dares sully the SS appliances. I'm tired of those days. The heresy is that I might not even put in a BS as we never had one the entire time I was growing up, save the 4" piece. I'd probably put stainless behind the range because of the heat from a top venting range, but I rather liked my 4" backsplash that I installed in my last kitchen in New Orleans.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

We bought a Bertazzoni range (all gas) and went with stainless because it was LESS money than the enameled ones. If you have a SS dishwasher that you are reusing, and are on a budget, why not go with the SS Bertazzoni? Between the black grates, black knobs, and black oven window (when the light isn't on inside) it might be less contrasty to go SS than white ... At least with all that black.

That said, I actually prefer white appliances but couldn't bring myself to spend an extra $1400 on the range just to change e color of the front panel. I mean, for that much money we could have replaced the dishwasher we have (which works, so it lives on...)

Good luck either way, I know it's tough to find good GCs in the world. I'd send you ours, but I'm not done with him yet (and we're a few thousand miles from you).

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"all those entitled 20-something couples looking for their first house and sneering at anything other than SS and granite made me sick."

i'm glad more people think like this - I sure do! I also think 'What the H, we always had to live with a house the way it was and make the best of it! Being grateful to have a roof over our head.'

When I moved into the last place I lived (at age 48), my thinking was "It has walls, doors and some windows - even tho most of the windows didn't close and the doors were rather sketchy on doing that. AND I could have a dog. It was to be temporary. That lasted 14 yrs!

As for being the wife of a doctor. Don't tell 'em. If they ask what he does, say 'he works'. Or act as if they are insulting you by insinuating that they need 'the man of the house' to deal with. Say 'I stand alone on this job'. You could always throw out the old saying 'He does his thing and I do mine. This is mine.'

I can just see the 'register' going up, up, up when they hear he's a doctor. I'd ditch those with the skyhigh prices and check out others - not telling that dh is a doctor.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

What are you getting for $185/sq ft? I did the calculation, and I paid about $108/sq ft to the GC for labor and miscellaneous stuff like wires and PVC. He did not do the the cab and counter install. He did the demo, rough in, painting, new trim, new electric, installed appliances and lights, plumbed in sink and DW, tiled floor. That number doesn't include the cost of tile, sink, appliances, pendant lights, switches, cutting board, disposal, faucet. But there are some fixed costs that are not dependent on size of the space(appliance install, faucet install) and some variable costs that do depend on the size(rough in, painting, electric lines, tiling), so I'm not sure if /sq ft is a fair comparison. I guess since the fixed costs in my small kitchen would be spread over a smaller space, my cost /sq ft should actually be higher than yours. Anyway, depending on what is included, it does sound high to me. My GC worked for about 4 weeks.

$6500 to move plumbing sounds nuts. What are the pipes made of, gold?

• User
    11 years ago

Get more quotes. While 50K for a semi upscale kitchen isn't completely out of line pricewise for a even a rural Southern location, $6500 for plumbing is completely wack unless you are replacing every single bit of kitchen plumbing and having to tie into a cast iron stack or some other tricky and delicate maneuver.

I would expect an older home's electrical quote to come in around that though, simply because it most likely will involve updating to a 200 amp service panel and possibly even running a new service drop from the main power pole. And surprisingly, sometimes rural areas are not cheaper than urban ones when it comes to contracting simply because some contractors have much further to travel to the job sites and that has to be factored in as far as time and gas. I do have some contacts in the Memphis are that will travel to a bit of eastern AR if you aren't too far. If you are located central or west, then you might do a post for any further trades recommendations.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've started making other calls to tradespeople who have done small jobs around here. I'm in Little Rock, so 2 hours outside of Memphis.

I'm starting to think that we should have just bought a house that needed to be gutted completely to be renovated. Remodeling is far more complicated that I remember it being from when I remodeled a house in Virginia.

I have a structural engineer coming in to determine if all this crazy "new floor and ceiling joists" that are in one quote and not the other are legitimate or what. If it is legitimate, I'd suck up paying it (obviously) if I wanted to do the renovation, but...removing those costs would equalize both my quotes. Or close to that. Plus, if it really is an issue, the engineer will give me a solution to give anyone else who bids the job.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

If this helps, we live in one of the more expensive parts of the country in a town that contractors notoriously "up the price" just because of the town's name. We went with a competitive bid - there were more expensive bids but most were in line with what we paid. So we paid 8K for plumbing and 6K for electric...small space but the entire space was gutted, moving walls and putting in all new electric and plumbing for a kitchen, powder room, mudroom, hallway and hall pantry. Your quote for plumbing does sound crazy, considering where you live and the job you're describing. Yes, contractors may have to drive longer distances to get to you, but here they're wasting gas sitting in traffic, plus possibly paying big tolls!