SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

Making over a small galley on a budget - new layout

smaloney
12 years ago

I've posted several times and gotten a lot of very useful feedback, and so with apologies I'm back again to get input on the proposed layout from our contractor. We have a small budget by GW standards and aren't considering major structural changes - I started off just trying to replace what was there but want to make the kitchen as functional and as updated as possible within those (big) constraints.

The galley is a corridor that connects to our living room at the back of the house and a breakfast room (which also has the front entry and a staircase to the second floor). On the other side of the galley is a laundry/utility room. I initially received a lot of feedback here about trimming the wall to better connect the galley with the breakfast room, but that's neither in the budget (they're load-bearing walls) nor all that attractive to me (mostly because the breakfast room is also the entry to the house.)

The other big constraint is that we're using non-custom cabinets (All Wood) which really narrows my options. I know I should be trying to find a custom or semi-custom option, but honestly after a few months of back-and-forth with Ikea, Home Depot, and several kitchen places, I'm kind of exhausted and reasonably satisfied with the contractor who uses a stock cabinet line (All Wood). But it makes trying to arrange the kitchen a bit of a jigsaw puzzle.

Sorry for the long prelude, repeated information, etc. I keep coming back here because I've got no one else to ask - every contractor/KD I've worked with so far has been pretty utilitarian (presumably because of my budget) and so any creative thoughts about how to improve this kitchen have come entirely from GW.

The first option that the contractor did was basically a version of what we have now - gas range and sink on one wall; fridge on the longer wall. This would be fine, except that the stock sizes would mean that I have to get a narrower=than-normal fridge in order to have a tall pantry (which I desperately need). I hate this because this whole remodel idea began with the desire to get a new/larger fridge, and also because it would basically prevent me from getting a counter-depth fridge (which is important because of the width.) Anyway, here is that layout: {{gwi:1915071}}

I agonized for a week or two and played around with the options endlessly and went back to the contractor with the thought of abandoning gas and using an induction cooktop and electric wall oven on the longer wall. That would let me move the fridge over to the shorter wall. Here is what they came up with:

{{gwi:1915072}}

{{gwi:1915073}}

It does everything I need, but I am worried that the placement of the fridge and the cooktop is too cramped. The contractor says that code doesn't allow the cooktop under the window, so that's not an option. And moving the fridge to the other end of the short wall would mean that I wouldn't have a clear view into the living room when I'm standing at the sink - not a viable option for someone with two crazy boys who spend most of their inside time in the living room.

So... any ideas? Any general commentary or other thoughts? I really am so grateful for all the expertise here.

Comments (23)