SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nysteve

Capital Culinarian Range Top Installation Question

NYSteve
12 years ago

Hi,

I have a question for any Culinarian Range Top owners. Firstly, here's what our brandy-new Culinarian looks situated in the under-construction kitchen:

We're pretty psyched about this. I can't wait to start cooking. But first...

While they were templating for the granite, our contractor was explaining that the rangetop has a ledge that should sit on top of the counter. You can see it in this shot:

This makes sense.

However, the base cabinet was too short for that. If he sat the rangetop on the base cabinet, the granite wouldn't fit there. So he suggested building up a "floor" on which the rangetop would sit, like this:

You can see the white melamine/mdf that he was using. He would cover that with a pice of light rail molding.

This seems like a "hack" to me. Among other things, it creates a bit of a clearance issue with that hood -- we don't have the requisite 30" to the lowest part of the wood hood. (Because of the shape of the hood, there is very little wood that is under 30" away, and I doubt the building inspector would even check, but it is still technically incorrect.)

The other choices seem to be:

a) the cabinet maker should have taken this into consideration (he had all the specs); I should get him to remake the base cabinet 3/4" taller... or

b) the Culinarian should sit on the base cabinet, and the granite should run into the side of the range top, rather than under the ledge.

Any thoughts? How have other Culinarian (or general Rangetops) owners been installed?

Thanks as always!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!