SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy2learn

Any experience with RTA (ready to assemble) cabinets-good or bad?

happy2learn
10 years ago

I originally asked this question on the bathroom forum but didn't get any response, so thought I'd try here, since this forum is more active and "cabinet intensive"!! It appears that the companies that make RTA vanities also primarily make kitchen cabinets, too.

I would love some feedback on RTA (ready to assemble) vanities/cabinets that you may have had. Pros and cons? Suggestions of companies/brands to recommend or avoid?
I am especially interested in hearing about J & K and Forevermark, or Monda cabinets, among others.

I need to replace a small, 24" wide vanity cabinet in our teens'/guest bathroom. I have "champagne taste on a beer budget". I would prefer a white painted finish and a plywood "box" that are commonly used in the RTA vanities vs. the thermofoil and particle board that you normally get in the big box store white vanities. (Our current builder's grade vanity's particle board sides are decomposing( from water from washing the floor and perhaps an overflowing toilet way- back- when?) so I am especially leary of particle board in a bathroom.) I have found that an RTA vanity would be about the same price, even including shipping, as a big-box store off-the-shelf vanity.
I want to go with white since the bathroom is so tiny already, (I feel a darker color would just make it feel even smaller) and the existing floor and wall tiles are bluish-gray and white. The existing oak vanity never went very well with the gray!

(BTW- I have already ordered a granite vanity top in "mission white" (white with gray)from Lowes, so the vanity has to be able to hold up under a heavy countertop!

Thanks for any feedback and help or advice you can give me.

Comments (7)