SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Give me your most beautiful light-colore laminate countertop recs

purrus
9 years ago

Hi.

I'm going with white cabs, glossy white subway tile backsplash. We will be installing nutmeg-colored stained oak floors to match all the other original hardwoods in our 1960s colonial.

The problem is that my KD has said that laminate countertops look best in dark colors (black, basically). While I love black and white and have it all over my house in rugs and window treatments, I really want my kitchen to be lighter. We'll be losing a window in the reno process to get a better layout and the idea of dark countertops just seems like a bad idea.

I am also wondering about the edge shapes available with formica products and whether we have to go with the basic squared-off shape. When my KD was talking about the formica looking best in dark colors she mentioned the edge where the two pieces of formica meet as being the most obvious way to tell that it wasn't real stone. But I've seen pics online of rounded edges and other things like that. How does one go about getting a countertop with that edge shape? my KD doesn't appear to know that these exist.

I originally wanted white quartz or granite or marble countertops, but those are way out of the budget for us. I'm not afraid of a natural stone-looking pattern at all; in fact when I was first checking out actual stone patterns, I was going after some quite bold ones. So that gives you an idea of the look I'm after. Especially because formica counters are much cheaper, I'm not afraid to go a little bolder with the pattern.

I've googled, of course, and found tons of pictures of things like the Formica 180fx Calacatta marble. They look amazing. However, I am looking for real-life experience from you folks. What looks best and most importantly HOLDS UP well?

Comments (17)