SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebrathedebra

Trouble Picking White Marble

ebrathedebra
15 years ago

Is it me, the area I'm in or what? The marbles that I used to drool over are looking, well, *less* drool worthy.

Specifically, I'm speaking of the white marbles such as carrara and calacutta. The carrara is looking VERY gray and spotty - as opposed to more white and wispy. The calacutta is now looking heavily veined but not in a nice way. The calacutta golds I've been seeing are rusty looking (big splotches of brown covering entire sections of slab) instead of the creamy background with caramel swirls that I fell in love with and was inspired to part with big $$ to get.

The only reasonable slabs that I've seen were a calacutta, carrara calacutta and Michaelangelo Calacutta and they had a blue/green cast with blue/green veining.

I bring a cabinet door with me which is an off white but it is still so hard to see in the bad lighting of these big warehouses. Next to the small samples of carrara that I've brought home, the door looks a yellowy/brown and clashes.

I can't imagine spending so much $$$ on something that is just not knocking my socks off. On the other hand, I've gone through so many design alterations and now that I'm FINALLY here (kitchen is ripped out, electrical done, floor in - cabinets built and in next room waiting to be installed) -- I just can't imagine reinventing everything again - at this stage of the game.

Anyone out there with off white cabs and recent white marble? Which did you pick? Is anyone experiencing the same issues or is it just me? I realize that this is a natural material that changes as they dig through the mountain. I'm just wondering if anyone out there is seeing great stuff in their neck of the woods and that I might be seeing a change for the better soon.

Comments (14)