SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Stuck with getting another Side by Side Fridge with icemaker?

marvelousmarvin
9 years ago

I need to replace my current side by side fridge in the next couple of days, and I was wondering if I was stuck with getting another side by side fridge with a ice maker because of the kitchen's layout? Or, could I replace a side by side fridge with a french door style fridge?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fridges with the freezer at the bottom like french door fridges more reliable and less likely to need repairs than side by side fridges?)

I'm not asking about which is better, a side by side or french.
Instead, I'm worried because I remember reading something about potential traps when you got a french door fridges that might be problematic- something about needing enough space to be able open both doors all the way.

But, do I have that room with my current layout where the fridge would be enclosed on both sides by two walls and a cabinet on top? There's also that blue tile countertop in front of the fridge in the first picture, and that pathway in between the fridge and that countertop is the main walkway into the kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And, when I get a new fridge, how much space is there supposed to be between the fridge and walls and cabinet? Remodelista recommend an inch of clearance on all sides to prevent overheating, yet their pictures didn't seem to show that:

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/remodeling-101-how-to-choose-your-refrigerator

When I measured everything, the distance between the two walls is 36 inches wide and I'm having a little bit difficulty measuring the height between the floor and upper cabinet above fridge is 69 and 3/4 inches. Does this mean I should be looking for a fridge that's 68 and 3/4inches tall and 34 inches wide?

The distance between the back of the wall in which the fridge is enclosed to the front of that wall is 26 and a half inches, while the current fridge is 29 inches deep.

The current fridge is already deeper than the enclosure so it extrudes a couple inches outside. What should the depth of the fridge be? When I look at dimensions for fridges, which depth should I be looking at- the depth, depth closed excluding handles, or cutoff depth?

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 5:09

Comments (19)