SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pames_gw

choosing granite and cabinets with existing ceramic tile floor

pames
13 years ago

I thought I had posted this but it's not showing up. I'm new here, so will try again. If it is a repeat, I apologize.

We are remodeling our kitchen. Thought I was just going to change from formica countertops to granite, but the project grew and am now also changing cabinets and some appliances so everything is SS. BUT I'm not changing the flooring which I had thought was fine...beige ceramic 12" tiles with some texturing and color variance.

I am planning to use Meridian cabinetry and had THOUGHT I was doing cherry with a pecan finish. After visiting some granite yards and much consideration, I was leaning towards a lighter granite to contrast the cabinets. For example something like Colonial creme or shivakasi yellow. Or, I thought New Venetian Gold. However, I went again, this time with a sample of my beige floor tile and the cabinet door, and was very surprised that the tile turned peachy with a lot of the granites I had been considering. Some of the Gold granites just seemed to look bad with it.

So, how much does the floor matter with the granite choice? I could do a dark granite: tan brown, tropic brown, verde butterfly ( I think it's called) and that seems to neutralize my perceived floor problem. I haven't ordered the cabinets yet, so could also go with maple vs the cherry and that might help.

Any help/suggestions/pictures much appreciated!

Comments (10)