SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randjj1

Custom Cabinets Wrong!

randjj1
15 years ago

Hi - this is my first time posting - I've received a lot of useful info on these forums. We are building a new home and made the mistake of using a friend as our builder - another story all together.

The kitchen and bath cabinets have been a nightmare from the beginning. Our builder friend wanted us to use his cabinet guy. We asked if we could please go see his shop and what he had availabe for cabinets - this was not an option - the best we got was that we could look at cabinets he put in another house. Finally, I was able to meet the cabinet man at our new house - I expected him to show me door designs/ideas for a layout - NOTHING but notebook and pencil. I tried to visualize what I wanted and told him. It scared me because he kept double checking what I had said - like he couldn't remember. I asked him what door styles he had and he drew 2 different types on the stud - so I picked one. I've been dreading the day of installation - scared to find out what my surprise cabinets look like.

Tonight we went to look at them - the cabinet over the refrigerator is 24" from the wall (like I asked) - but it's only 12" deep - there is a 12" empty gap between the back of the cabinet and the wall. This isn't normal is it - if you asked for a 24" cabinet over the fridge, it should be 24" deep?

Also - the corner appliance garage has a hinged door (like I asked), but there is a 1" lip at the bottom - is that necessary?

None of the shelves are adjustable.

The pullout trash cabinet doesn't have walls on both sides - so it opens into another cabinet? The blind corner cabinet is the same - no inside wall to separate it from the next cabinet over.

The bath vanities are worse - the master is a 71" wide vanity with only 2 very small drawers (maybe 6" wide) and all open base cabinets - usually a wide vanity has at least 3 drawers in the middle, right? The kids bath is a 48" vanity with only 2 very small drawers also - we have 3 kids and were planning on having at least 3 decent size drawers!

I hate to have paid so much money for cabinets that aren't even right.

Can he just "fix" the cabinet errors? Am I being too picky? All my family and friends who I've told about our cabinet situation think it was nuts that we had to pick our cabinets sight unseen. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022