SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Neighborhood Gathering at our house - help!

hobokenkitchen
10 years ago

Let me preface this by saying that I am a useless cook.

We agreed to host the biannual neighborhood party on Friday night. As in this coming Friday. Arghhhhhhhh!!

We had house guests over the weekend and today so I have done exactly zero prep.

We have been to 3 neighborhood meetings at other homes which have all had copious booze and have ranged from snacks and fruit plates, to fully catered and staffed bbqs, etc.

We have a baby at home so I am hoping that expectations will be low.

I have very little prep time. I am heading up to North Jersey on Thursday to visit a friend and on Friday I have to be able to prep at the same time as looking after the baby. People will start arriving about 20 minutes after she has gone to bed. I don't know why we agreed to do this!!!

We are expecting between 20 - 26 people.

Here's what we were thinking of putting out.

-Veggie tray w dip.
-Either a fruit tray or fruit cups.
-Cheese dips and crackers from Wegmans.
-A crock pot of chicken chilli, sour cream, shredded cheese and Spanish rice.
-A layered dip with guacamole, refried beans, sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

Does this sound like an 'acceptable' spread and amount of food for a meeting or just totally lame? I dont have high hopes regarding presentation. I guess I'll just lay everything out on the island and hope it looks ok.

What about drinks? A lot of our neighbors have extensive wine cellar collections. We do not. I like Mad Fish. : ) Could we serve Pimms instead? Or is that weird? I dont want to have to spend a fortune on 'acceptable' wine. Any other suggestions?

Is it ok to get some nicer plastic plates and forks? How about plastic glasses?

Thanks - I am nervous about this.

Comments (48)