SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

such thing as good looking laminate counters?

KCRemodeler
12 years ago

I have a fairly large 1990 golden oak kitchen that has been poorly maintained (as is the rest of the house, which we are overhauling). The configuration is not ideal, and so I plan to fully remodel (with new cabinets) the kitchen in, say, 10 years. We're putting so much in the rest of the house, I'm not ready to dump that much into the kitchen. For today, I NEED to replace my appliances and countertop (laminate is peeling back and it scratched and awful), rehab the outdated cabinets, and replace the hideous backsplash. I am not wanting to get into a lot of money here, but want something that I'm happy with for 7-10 yrs. Plan is to get the cabinets painted white, redo the backsplash, and put in counters as cheaply as I can be happy with w/o looking too cheap.

I'm thinking a logical choice is laminate, since its quite a bit less than other options (which all are around the same price point, and i don't live near an Ikea). Problem is, I've been told with the layout of our kitchen a rolled edge is not preferred b/c of the way the seams would look, and I should go with a bevel to reduce seams. I personally haven't seem a laminate that looks decent.

Looking for pictures/opinions on a laminate that looks good w/ painted white cabs? What backsplash to go w/ laminate that doesn't make it look even cheaper? My walls are a camel color tuscan troweled texture, and my cabinets are the cathedral style. Thanks!

Comments (53)