SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txsuszq_gw

New Grout Discoloration Issues

txsuszq
12 years ago

Has anyone had grout discoloration issues? We picked grout to blend in with our tile (it has some lighter & darker striations in it) so you would not immediately be drawn to the shape of each tile. It looked fantastic when the tile guy finished. We went to bed & the next morning the grout had turned from a mushroom-y color to white. It looked like someone outlined the grout with a white chalk! First response was that construction dust got into the grout & turned it white. Since the tile guy had only grouted half the kitchen, he did a super clean on the other half before grouting. Next day, same issue - white lines! Tile company told KD that we have hard water & gave her a solution to rub over grout. Did not solve problem (not to mention that KD has used this grout in our area before with no issues). KD called in rep from grout co to come look at the problem. He said that if you grout on a humid day, salt from the concrete (house is built on a slab foundation) will seep up into the grout, turning it white. He gave another solution that was to be "painted" on, dry for 30 minutes & then problem would be solved. Looked good, went to bed & you guessed it! White lines. Each time, the grout has not been uniformly one color. So even when it has turned white, here & there, the grout may be the right color or slightly darker. I could live with lighter or darker grout, but the huge color range all over the kitchen is driving me nuts. Sorry to be so long winded! Has anyone had these issues? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Am I being too picky? Thanks for your input.

Comments (9)