SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lceh_gw

Blue/gray stained cabinets instead of paint? Am I crazy?

lceh
13 years ago

We've bought a house with '60s birch cabinets, and I plan to have them professionally stripped and refinished. In my current house I have wooden countertops on white cabinets, which I LOVE, and I wanted to have those countertops again in the new place. I was thinking about a soft white or maybe a Gustavian greyish-bluish paint on the cabinets, wooden countertops, pale grey stone (tile) on the floor, a few Delft tiles in the tile backsplash, and copper hardware. (My overall aesthetic is sort of a cottagey, Swedish Country, faded Northern European country house sort of thing, if that makes sense.) Well, it turns out the refinishing will be SIGNIFICANTLY less if I have them use stain instead of paint, so I'm wondering about one of the color stains. Anyone have any experience with this? What stains will be the most "paint-like" in appearance? Are there any I should avoid? Anyone know of a website showing lots of colored, stained cabinets (I see lots of "woody" stains and lots of paint, but not many with colored stains). Or will this look awful and should I give up and live with birch cabinets and give up my beloved wooden countertops? Any advice (or pics of blue/gray stained cabinets!!) is desperately needed!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!