SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptyles

Layout ideas/assistance please...

ptyles
14 years ago

I have been lurking on this site for probably a year now and joined several years ago when we redid the kitchen in our old house. We bought a fabulous foreclosure last summer and have spent a lot of money just making it livable and fixing small issues. The kitchen is an awful eye sore to the house and the layout is poor. The house is a 1980s 3000 sq ft. colonial that we plan to be in for a very long time.

About Us:

Family of 5, kids ages 8, 5 and 3.

I am the main cook with my DH helping occasionally. The kids want to help more so I want to accommodate and cultivate that so that they will always want to help and maybe one day take over the cooking (ok, a girl can dream).

We do our fair share of entertaining family and friends. I am not an avid baker but do try and bake often with the kids.

Appliances:

I have two appliances that need to be incorporated into the layout.

Samsung 29 cubic ft French Door

Elextrolux Dish Washer

I will post pics of the kitchen and the current dimensions. We have discussed getting rid of the island and making the kitchen a U with maybe a bowed out peninsula to see if we could fit 5 stools. I have also considered narrowing the island so I still have a working island but no seating. The aisle between the island and the fridge wall must stay because we have rooms beyond the kitchen (bonus room, bathroom, laundry and office). IÂve even contemplated taking the wall down between the dining room and kitchen but I honestly donÂt know what that would gain me besides an open space. Then I would have to find a place for the fridge and pantries. I would love to have a cook top and double ovens but I am just not sure we have the space.

A few things I definitely want to do are move the sink below the window. I would like to have the window come down the counter (BuehlÂs kitchen is the inspiration) . WeÂve thought of flipping the stove and dishwasher now. Ultimately, I would prefer a cooktop where the dw is now.

An option to gain us more wall space is to close up the sliding door that is in the eating area and put in a single glass door. We have a French door from our family room that opens to the deck so we have a way out to our deck which is not very far from the kitchen. Having said that, I do want to keep some sort of door in the kitchen to the deck. Also, as you will see in the pictures there is a blank wall coming into the kitchen. We have thought of putting some sort of cabinetry on that wall to house snacks and store less used items. Possibly also a work station to do bills etc.

I would be honored if you would take a look and perhaps offer some ideas. I keep thinking that there is more we can do here and I want this kitchen to function better for our family but I don't want to always regret the layout.

Current layout

pics of the kitchen (please ignore the mess)

Dining room

Comments (36)