SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queenofmycastle0221

Garage Convert - Need Advice (pic) -long

I absolutely hate it when in our area someone fills in a garage door of a brick rancher with vinyl siding and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I saw a house recently that filled in the entirety of the former garage door with a set of french doors surrounded by windows and it looks great. I also saw another house that was being renovated utilizing stone along with the current brick and it looks better as it gets nearer to completion.

Next summer, we hope to do some renovations and fulfill my dream of flip flopping the current master bedroom and kitchen. (Was supposed to be this way but family that built it changed it!) The current kitchen is just not laid out properly and oversized. It also gets all the heat from the double arched window you see in the pic below. It also has hardwood floors and I much prefer tile in a kitchen. The current master bedroom has old carpet that needs replaced. This would also put the kitchen in the rear of the house which would allow easier access to the grill and patio.

One option is to use the current garage as living space to include a mudroom, large master bathroom and a large walk in closet. None of these rooms would be options to put in the front of the house with an all glass wall.

Eventually, we would like to fix a two car garage onto that side of the house, thus the mudroom which would basically be a long hallway in the back of the current garage that would attach the garage to the interior of the house.

Does anyone have any ideas on the most curb friendly option?

Thanks so much!

Alicia

Comments (15)