SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ossiemom

granite install went wrong 4 times...what do we do

ossiemom
14 years ago

I've been lurking for a while and have learned so much from this forum. Now I really need some help with our granite counter tops.

We have an L-shaped kitchen with an island and the long end of the L has to have one seam for the corner piece.

When they came to install the first time the cut-out for the farmers sink was to big and they took everything back to the shop to redo. My DH ask them to leave the island top (one piece) so we would have a surface but they said they want to order all new slaps so the island and perimeter will match.

The 2nd install did not happen because the corner piece of the L shaped perimeter was too small. This time they glued down the island top and left the long end of perimeter laying losely so we had a surface better than cardboard and scheduled to return with the correct size corner piece. They did not glue down the long piece because they have to take it out to slide the corner piece in.

The third time they arrived with the new corner piece they found out that the long part had a slight concave bend in it and now the seam would not go together. They took both perimeter pieces. Island was already glued in.

Fourth time they came the corner piece was still about 1/8 th inch shorter on the overhang than long piece, so they cut it and polished it to match up with the other piece. The corner piece is also slightly less thick than the long piece and they tried to cut/polish/blend that in as well. There is now a very small curve at the seam area in the front that I can live with. What upsets me most is that the corner piece is obviously from a completely different lot than the rest of long piece or island and is noticeably darker. DH did not notice color difference during time of install. He did not step in to examine pieces before they were glued down.

We are using Impala Black.Were quoted $ 56/sf.

They send someone to look at it. She agreed it was an unacceptable difference in color. What do we do now? Help please! Thank you for reading long story.

Comments (12)