SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Somewhat OT...What's wrong w my kitchen towels?

rhome410
14 years ago

It's a weird question, and quite probably, a dumb one,--Embarrassing, even.

I'm tired of hassling with this minor, but aggravating issue. Last night my dd spilled the cats' water bowl and I grabbed a couple towels to clean up, and only had a wider spread and shallower puddle...My mom always taught me not to use fabric softener or buy the velour towels because of lack of absorbency, so I don't do any of that (just regular Tide and some bleach), but my cotton terry kitchen towels are TERRIBLE about absorbing water. If we use some extra water to wash the counters and I grab a towel to wipe them down, I just mostly smear the water around.

I've used cotton terry towels my whole life with fine success previously. Can I do something to improve them? Is there something I should look for that I missed in choosing them in the first place? Some of the towels are from Costco and some are from Fred Meyer, which is an 'everything' store...Groceries, clothing, housewares, garden, etc., so there are at least a couple of brands involved. (Now I'm making it sound like my Great Towel Conspiracy...Sheesh)

Excuse my silliness... The kids (and I) are learning to use paper towels too much because they will get the job done. I want to get that stopped.

Thanks! :-)

Comments (68)