SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairchild3_gw

Need Opinions & Ideas on Kitchen Update

fairchild3
13 years ago

I posted this on another website's forum, and a member there told me about this wonderful forum and suggested I post over here for better response. This is my first post here. :)

I'm doing a kitchen update - not remodel, just paint and maybe counter tops. We plan on doing a full remodel in several years, but right now it's not in the budget. I just want to bring this kitchen out of the 80s!

I've got a smallish galley style kitchen. Right now the counters are white laminate with yellow/gold veining - I'm planning on replacing it with solid white laminate. We already installed one area of white counters when we moved in, due to the need to install a dishwasher and a cabinet beside that. (Previous owner had an avocado free standing dishwasher)

Floors are 6 sided charcoal gray ceramic - will eventually change, but needs to stay now.

Cabinets are painted black, need to be repainted, open to color ideas - not sure I want to stay black. These are sturdy cabinets, but not pretty - very plain. They will eventually be replaced in the full remodel, but need to stay now.

Hinges are visible and silver, good condition, willing to paint if needed. Handles are silver and need replacing. I purchased antique brass open weave knobs when we moved in and installed the single cabinet beside the dishwasher. I have enough to replace throughout the kitchen, but am open to painting them a different finish/color.

Sink and faucet are stainless and will be staying. (we replaced the faucet 4 years ago.)

Appliances are white. Stove is white with black oven door.

The walls are plaster, there is a high chair rail at 48" from the floor. I'd really like to do a board and batten look below the chair rail as seen

here and here. Of course, I plan to paint the lower part of the walls white where I have the board and batten.

I need suggestions for the wall color above the chair rail, the cabinets, and the hardware. I'm thinking of painting the visible hinges the same color as the cabinets to make them disappear. I'm not afraid of wall color, and sort of want something that pops. One end of the kitchen opens to a room being painted Behr Cricket (a grayish green) accented with cream, chocolate and a blue called Caribe (behr). The other end of the kitchen opens on a room we are painting Tuscan Beige - a rosy creamy beige.

I'd love to do white cabinets, but worry that with the cabinets, counter tops, and board and batten and appliances all white, it'll be too much white. For walls I'm thinking a beautiful aqua blue that compliments the Caribe, like Sherwin Williams' aquarium or mariner. We only have one small window in there, and the fridge is RIGHT beside it, so it blocks some of the light - with the black cabinets and dark floor, I feel like it need brightening, but I worry that all the white will be too much. Any one want to weigh in?

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (7)