SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sasm_gw

aga & lacornue ranges

sasm
12 years ago

Anyone out there have experience with Aga or LaCornues? I've got a small kitchen, so am trying to get as much "bang for the buck" in 1 unit as I can. Don't bake, but do need good broiler & good at roasting. Just 2 of us, so not looking for big ovens. Also - anyone have opinions about Wolfs? Got turned off by negative comments here about Viking quality. - Thanks all! - SASM

Comments (18)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Aga may be a bit much for a small kitchen because it is on all the time. In temperate climates many Aga owners have a second range and shut down the Aga for the summer. That would be counterintuitive use of space in a small kitchen.

• sayde
    12 years ago

You said your kitchen is small -- if you are truly space constrained, perhaps a 24 inch Blue Star -- 4 burners and a great broiler. Of course it also comes in 30 and 36 (and 48) inch models.

• Related Discussions

Induction ranges - aga mercury (36”) vs Bertazonni vs fisher paykel

Q

Comments (38)
    That’s a pity but definitely a sign of the times. I didn’t research it and the FP may be worth it. I did briefly look at the wolf 36 but I didn’t like the look Of the 2 knobs as opposed to the look of a whole array of knobs. Miele 36 didn’t have the bridge element that the individual cooktop had and service in my area is questionable. I looked at a few 30 inch ones but that didn’t work for me. What is Ilve’s situation? If they have one. Probably anything European will have the same delivery issues as Aga? What is the timeline for the Aga? I would honestly consider waiting for it, (if other options are pricey ). As the kitchen can be built around it and it slides in. And it is that wonderful.
    ...See More

AGA range vs cooktop & double ovens?

Q

Comments (5)
    I’m so sorry about your home loss. We live in the area also and the amount of loss is just unfathomable. I’m not much help but I just went through the same decision process with my kitchen (we didn’t lose our home, just remodeling) and I researched the Aga induction range a ton and just ordered mine yesterday. Wait time is currently 7 months so it will be awhile before I can give any specific feedback! 😆 For me it came down to overall design and look and wall ovens just didn’t fit well in our layout and I love the look of a large range. I watched several YouTube videos and read reviews here and I haven’t found anytime who regrets their Aga or misses the windows. I realized I always open the oven door anyway as my windows get so grimy that I can’t see clearly anyway. 🤷‍♀️ From what I’ve read, the biggest adjustment is the smaller ovens and learning to use smaller pans but it seems everything still fits well and is much more efficient!
    ...See More

Induction range (36") - Bertazzoni, Aga or Fisher Paykel?

Q

Comments (8)
    We have the F & P 36” in white. Lovely and works really well. I went with that over others because my local appliance store can service it. I’ve had them out once already and it was easy and free. I looked at them all in person and it wasn’t an easy decision. I liked the AGA but my pans didn’t fit and I thought that may be a problem. I decided against Wolf due to the cost. Bertazonni - I had no access to service in my rural area.
    ...See More

Baking with the AGA 48 inch Elise induction range

Q

Comments (5)
    I'll be following this thread closely. I really want the induction top but we can't get the Elise with an induction top in Australia (only in gas because we are apparently hell bent on destroying the planet). When I rang the people who import them here I asked why they weren't available in Australia when they are available in New Zealand. The woman very helpfully told me that New Zealand was another country and that they would have to have it approved for use in Australia (so? They do import the very ugly Classic with an induction top, I can't imagine it's much different). It was and is a blatant lie because Australia and NZ have an agreed shared electrical standard so anything approved in NZ would by default be approved in Aus. What it comes down to is that Australia always has to be the rubbish version of NZ. She also told me that "induction is a niche market" :)))). The Elise costs $16K here. It by definition sits in a niche market. It also seems bizarre that you can't get whatever configuration you want given that these stoves are made to order. Not sure you'll appreciate my rant, or maybe you will ?;).
    ...See More
  • holligator
    12 years ago

I have an AGA Legacy, which is not one of the AGA "cookers" that palimpsest was describing. It's the AGA cookers that are on all the time. The Legacy is a regular dual fuel range. I love the five-burner setup on it. I have some extremely large pots that work great with that arrangement. In fact, I like everything about the cooktop part of this range. The burners have a good range of BTUs, they have a good simmer setting, and it's a fairly easy stove to keep clean.

The ovens, on the other hand, leave a bit to be desired. I thought that the size would not bother me, either, but many of my normal sized items won't fit, or won't fit well. For example, I can fit a normal cookie sheet on the middle rack of the main oven, but not on the bottom rack. Try finding a pan that is big enough to roast a turkey in but small enough to fit in that oven. I went with a disposable foil roasting pan last Thanksgiving. The main oven takes forever to preheat. Literally, I've waited 45 minutes for it to reach the desired temp! I have to say that it does cook well once it preheats.

The broiler oven also cooks great, but it's extremely shallow, so very few things will fit in there. Reheating a slice of pizza? No problem. Broiling meat or fish? No way. You can use the main oven for that, but not the broiler oven.

I do love the tall oven, though. It preheats fast, it cooks fast and well, and it can hold five or six dishes at a time--as long as they're small. I do have a 13x9 pan that will fit, but my regular old pyrex one with a small lip for a handle on each end will not fit.

Here it is getting some heavy use in preparation for our big Mardi Gras party a few months ago. All five burners and two of the three ovens were in action here...

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

I think we need more information. How much space do you have for a range, and were you talking about the original "heat storage" Aga cooker or one of the newer models? How many ovens would be ideal to you, and how many people do you cook for routinely? The Companion, for instance, is 24" and dual fuel with four burners including a wok ring, two small ovens (one of them convection) a good broiler -- well-made and small, but maybe that is all you need to be content. It looks like the old-style Aga but has very different cooking properties, since it is not a heat-storage device that works primarily through heat transfer/radiant heat.

I sense that you primarily are drawn to the aesthetics of the Aga and La Cornue ranges, in which case there are lots of beautiful choices to consider. The Bertazzoni is beautiful, too, and comes in a good size for a small kitchen. I don't have much experience yet with the new dual fuel Aga ranges, but we like our Companion/Module. I think the La Cornue ranges are gorgeous, but I've never cooked on one.

The best advice I ever heard when choosing a range was to take some of your favorite pots and pans to a kitchen store where models are "live" for test-drives, and just try them out. See how long it takes to heat a standard pot of cold water to boiling, etc. Bake up some cookie dough in the ovens. See whether you like the tactile properties of the knobs and the way the oven doors open and close. There used to be a place called Stove Heaven in Los Angeles where people could do just that.
    lynn

• hillebop
    12 years ago

I got the La Cornue Cornufe 43" with double ovens in blue with brass trim. LOVE IT. It is the show stopper in the kitchen. EVERYONE comments on it and people ask whether it is old or new. I bought it for its looks but I am very happy with the performance. Glad I got the blue instead of the black.

I replaced a 42" gas cooktop from the 60s and an old 24" double wall oven that was on an adjacent wall. The 48" Viking / Wolf etc. would not fit but I still wanted double ovens. At first I was really concerned about having two small ovens. (I went to one of the demonstrations that the distributor puts on.) However, I can still fit a five bone prime rib in the oven. It roasts meats really well. We also have a small family but I also survived a big party and I was able to use those half size catering pans and stack three or four of them in each oven to keep things warm. I do have to adjust the baking times when I use convection (the fan blows the batter toward the back of the stove, so I have to go low and slow.) I use my ovens a lot more often than I ever did before.

I love the configuration of the five burner top. My old cooktop had 4 burners and a griddle that I never used. I used that space to put down pots, pans, trays, etc. We have a 24" Fisher & Paykel range in our tiny cabin, and it has 4 burners on 24" so there is not much room for pots and pans. That makes me think that if you had a 48" Viking, Wolf etc with 8 burners or equivalent, your pots and pans would be just as crowded. The oven trays fit well when you want to rest them on top of the stove - basically you can fit three of them on top of the stove at the same time. I rarely use all 5 burners at once, so I could be cooking on the left side while the meat rests in the middle or on the right side. With the simmer burner, I can melt chocolate without using a double boiler. Also the cooktop has NO SEAMS. It is brushed stainless so I have to clean with the grain but there are no seams to trap boiled goo, grains of rice, etc.

I live in Southern California so having a warm AGA going all the time would not be good. Love the concept and the look, but those ovens are really small and we do not need the heat.

YES take your pots and pants. Williams Sonoma carries these ovens (and the much pricier ones too) and they have all the cookware right in the store. Some things fit; some things don't. The roasting racks that come with the oven work just fine. I wouldn't worry if your favorite roaster doesn't fit because you probably won't use it with this oven anyway. It comes with two roasting racks, four regular oven racks (two per oven) and I bought two of the Williams Sonoma half sheets (that fit right in the racks). Each oven has five positions and with the convection, you could probably use 3 of the racks in one oven at one time depending on what you are heating up. I can fit my 12" Lodge skillet and my big All Clad saute pan, handles and all. A big round pizza pan or stone won't fit. Also things with flat handles are better than things with handles that stick out (my old Wilton jelly roll pan didn't fit because of the handles.) If I am unsure if something won't fit, I'll bring along one of my half sheet pans.

It is not self-cleaning, but neither was my old oven. The multifunction side gets a lot dirtier when I roast meat. I use the convection only side mainly for baking and it stays pretty clean.

I did not even look at the single oven - you could get wider things in there but it is probably just as deep as the 43" so some big round things wouldn't fit in there. Burners would be a little closer together. I like being able to broil or roast on one side and bake or heat up things on the other side. A single oven would drive me nuts.

This stove is not for everyone but my husband and I both love it!

• plllog
    12 years ago

There's also the Aga Pro with the convertible size oven. I don't think that one is cast iron, however, while I'm pretty sure the Legacy is. Neither is on all the time the way the classic cooker is (it was designed for the blind who couldn't see to adjust flames).

La Cornue has a large line of ranges--not just the CornueFe. I was tempted by the Chateau for about a minute, but my cooking/baking style does not fit into the arched ovens. Then I was tempted by the Lacanche, which is very popular on GW, for it's warming cupboard. Then I decided I'd never be a range cook and I should give it up. :) I couldn't cook for just my relatives (25-50 at a time), with a La Cornue, but it might be great for a more reasonable number.

You should try a search of the Appliances Forum. There are threads on all of these over there.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

I have been the proud owner of an Aga 6-4 for 3+ years now. I also have a relatively small, galley style kitchen that is approximately 11' x 14' in size.

The Aga 6-4 looks very much like the traditional Aga Cooker, but at 39" in width, and with 6 gas burners and 4 electric ovens, it's Aga's version of a contemporary, "pro-style" range. It does not stay on all the time. As an empty nester, I assure you that I don't need this much range in my little kitchen! However, I do not feel that this range overwhelms the space at all. At the same time, it is a great focal point that I love.

Function wise, there is something about having multiple small ovens that works especially well for me. Since I'm usually cooking or baking for myself, I don't generally need a large oven for my meals. And popping a dish or two into one of the small ovens (as opposed to a cavernous oven) actually feels like an energy-saving gesture. However, when I'm cooking for others, including large crowds of 10+, my Aga 6-4 well handles the task. In fact, for major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, the cooktop and multiple oven capacities are a godsend that allow me to prepare several dishes all at once. And, although I've yet found it necessary, if I ever needed to prepare more turkey than can fit in one oven,I always have the option of roasting two turkeys simultaneously -- one in the convection oven and the other in the regular roaster.

This range cooks and bakes for me very well but I doubt that any professional chef would consider it to be a "professional" range. At the same time, I'm not a professional chef myself and I just don't need my range to perform extraordinary tricks. The fact that its burners offer me ultra-rapid, semi-rapid, rapid and simmer functions and that the ovens can broil, roast/bake, convect and warm/slow-cook is really more than adequate for my needs. Plus,IMHO, it looks so darn good. And, let's tell the truth here: A major reason for my choosing an Aga over any other range in the same price category at the time I was planning my remodel was primarily because of its looks and size! You see, my original remodel plans had my 54" antique range with 6 burners, double ovens + 2 warming ovens as the focal point. Unfortunately, though, a murderous plumbing contractor, in the process of rerouting her gas line,s found a way to force my grand old dame's retirement. Long story short is that I was forced to scrap my antique range in the middle of the remodel. Since I was insistent on having a period-style kitchen at the time, and had been used to having a very big old range as my cooking companion, I searched for a modern machine that would be as stunning as my now-retired antique range. The Aga 6-4 fit that bill.

All the above has been the upside of owning an Aga 6-4. Now let me tell you about the downside: Owning a high-end, niche market appliance can be like the thrill of driving a Ferrari. It can also be an extremely costly and frustrating nightmare if and when your unit ever needs a part and/or the services of a knowledgeable mechanic. In the case of Aga, parts are very expensive and really good and "certified" Aga techs can be hard to find. And fuhgeddabout the technical service department at Aga Heartland (based in Canada). I rate them as rude, unresponsive and downright incompetent. (It's my understanding, however, that the tech department is in the process of moving its operations to Michigan. Whether this will improve things, I can only hope.) So, as much as I have previously given only rave reviews to Aga on this forum, I feel I can no longer continue to do so without also pointing out the Aga 6-4 is great. . . until you have a service issue. Then, heaven help you in dealing with Aga Heartland!

Here's one final note: Discussions about Aga ranges typically reveal a continuing confusion of what exactly an Aga range is. At this point, a description of an Aga as being some kind of behemoth range with hobs that stays on all the time and will overwhelm a small kitchen is just wrong. (That is a description of one kind of Aga -- an Aga Cooker). For that reason, I've attached the following thread from a couple of years back which goes into great detail about the various types of Aga ranges. Although it could certainly use some updating at this point (especially about the Aga Pro), I think the info here may still be helpful to some.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: What is an Aga Thread

• kmcg
    12 years ago

I just moved and had to leave behind my beloved Aga 4-oven cooker. I miss it, but it doesn't sound like something you would want - it doesn't have a broiler, for one thing. But the Aga 6-4 is beautiful, and worth a look.

To console myself, and given a small kitchen in my new house, I got a Lacanche Cormatin dual fuel range. It's only 28" wide, and a joy to cook in/on. There's a super high-powered burner that my husband loves for wok cooking, plus a medium and a small burner. We have a simmer plate and a griddle, which are not used so often but nice at times. The oven isn't huge, but definitely feels big to us after using an Aga for so long. There's a Lacanche thread on GW if you want to learn more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacanche Cormatin

• madeline616
    12 years ago

Holligator - I tried emailing you, but it didn't go through. I adore your 36" stainless AGA. I live in Lafayette (noticed your reference to the Mardi Gras party). Can you tell me whether there's a good AGA showroom in NOLA or Acadiana? I'd love to bring a couple of my baking dishes and see how they fit!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

LaCornue have tiny tiny ovens. I was shocked. It certainly it not an oven conceived of in a country where whole buxom fowls are ceremonially served at multigenerational gatherings.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

This year I will certainly be wishing people a Happy Whole Buxom Fowl Day.

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

check out wolf. i purchased a 30" all gas. it is installed but not in use yet due to delay in construction, will report back as i have more info. excellent broiler, good looks, good track record.

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

Have you looked at the Ilve duel fuel ranges? There are multiple sizes of this very beautiful range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ilve ranges

• Diplodicus
    12 years ago

Hi there,

I am in the market for a rangecooker and i have been checking out all the Aga La Cornues too. I noticed the following:

The La Cornufe has the same ovens and interior as the Aga Legacy and the British range called Falcon. The door hinges are identical on the La Cornufe and the Falcon. On espares website they say that the replacement elements for the Lacornufe are the same ones that go into the Rangemaster (revamped a little for the US market and called the Aga Legacy there) and the Falcon. THe cooktop on the Falcon and the LaCornufe and the Mercury rangecookers are all identical (except that the Falcon doesnt have the brass burners). Mercury is yet another AGA Group brand.

It seems to me, having CLOSELY examined each of these cookers in the 43-48 inch category, that they are in fact all the same. The interior is the same. The LaCornufe appears to have pullout sides and top to the ovens that mean that they are easier to clean but the downside seems to be that the racks dont fit right - they are a little to tight and scrape badly along the sides when you pull them out. Ive seen a couple of these now and they are all the same.

The lowest entry level is the Aga LEgacy. Then a little higher up is the Falcon. Then the Mercury and then the La Cornufe. Now that might tempt you to go for the LaCornufe but NOOOOOOOOO. THe price appears to be based on the name. THe btw on the burners on the La Cornufe is LOWER than the cheaper Mercury. AND the Mercury has a seperate grill and it has those lovely whizzy slidy pull out racks. THe LaCornufe doesnt have a dedicated grill and as I say the racks dont fit.

Falcons a re lovely and reasonably priced but they dont do them in the US so there is no point telling you about them.

I have put in an offer on a LaCornufe here and I regret it - (See my thread in the appliances section on same). Having suffered buyers remorse over my LCfe offer(not having actually bought it) I realised that the Mercury was by far the best bang for buck in the AGA ranges.

They will tell you that the LaCornufe is made by Lacornue guys but its not. its made in the aga factory. They will tell you its dearer because its heavier but if yoiu look at the weight specs its not. Even the Mercury ovens are bigger.

Hope this helps.

Dippy

• madeline616
    12 years ago

Wow, this is all really helpful, thanks :)

My problem is that in an effort to avoid retrofitting my cabinets and eating up counter space, I'm searching for a 36" dual fuel range that has a double oven. I can find double ovens in sizes wider than 36", but so far the only multi-oven 36" is the AGA legacy....but that has 3 ovens and I'm worried space will be a little tight.

Funny, I grew up in a family of 6 with my mom cooking on a 4-burner electric stove that she found at a yard sale for $20...and it had double ovens! 1 regular, which somehow didn't seem that small, and then the little vertical oven. It was awesome.

These days, it seems that (besides the 36" AGA), 39" in the absolute minimum for multiple oven range.

Sure hope I can be finished with this kitchen project by Whole Buxom Fowl Day :)

• Diplodicus
    12 years ago

My sister in law and half of the country here has the Aga legacy model - called a Rangemaster in Ireland and the UK. My brother and sis in law have their eight years and have never had a fault. One of my best friends has one and she hasnt had a problem either. They are great. Did you know that Aga Are bringing out a Pro+FM edition which has a huge oven which can be divided into two? Which self cleans. At 36 inches. Check it out. It has a lovely cooktop - I was looking at it last week and I liked it - and the fact that the oven divides for daily use but you can fit a huge turkey in makes it a winner in my books.

Hope that helps.

Dippy

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Just have to say, from my cave here in Connecticut: I never have had trouble cooking a Whole Buxom Fowl that would delight even our beloved, hilariously irrascible Marcolo in the smaller oven of an old-fashioned Aga cooker -- what kind of birds are y'all roasting, after all? Ostriches? The official Aga handbook for the "conventional" (always-on) cooker gives you instructions for roasting a 22-pound bird in about 3 hours. This of course assumes you have used your cooker wisely, with a certain amount of preparation in the week leading up to Whole Buxom Fowl day so that you're not stuffing every oven and cookplate with cold food all at once, but how large a turkey do you generally roast? The advance work makes your holiday more pleasant Unless our son is far more fecund than he heretofore has shown signs of being, an Aga oven is just fine for dinner parties that are large enough to make me wish I had called a caterer. Marcolo, how large is your fowl, anyway?
    Lynn