SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Plan Review (Version 1.0)

drjoann
15 years ago

Background - We are building a custom house in the Greenville, SC area on 2 treed acres. We will have a walkout basement, but plan to do all of our living on the 2400 sq ft main floor. DH is retired, but I will probably continue to work after the move. It is only the two of us, but we expect to have visits from our DD and her future family as well as other family and friends. I love to cook & DH does all of my cleanup because he likes to eat.

There are formal great & dining rooms for entertaining, but the "heart" of the house is the kitchen/breakfast nook/keeping room (TV room) area. DH & I plan to eat all meals sitting at the 4' round table by the banquette. When we have house guests, the banquette is for breakfast & lunch, but the dining room is for dinners when there are any guests.

Except for holidays/big meals, this is a one-butt kitchen. I adore my "busboy" (DH), but I want him out of my way in the kitchen. Even though I don't really want people in the kitchen with me, I do want to overlook where everyone is while I'm prepping & cooking. To that end, I've incorporated a peninsula with a 1' foot overhang so someone can sit with a cup of coffee or glass of wine and talk to me while I cook.

The island will be at baking height & will serve as a landing place when I get out my ingredients to begin to cook. It has a minimum of 42" clearance to all sides. The dimensions are about 13 1/2' from pocket door to cook's sink and about 14' from fridge wall to cooktop wall. Believe me, the angles have been driving me crazy when trying to draw this.

The pocket door leads to the "doglock" (like an airlock for dogs )with exits to the garage and a doggie door to a small fenced area for our two small dogs to take care of business. The doglock is bigger than it needs to be and the right hand wall could be moved westward by 2'.

The dining room is opposite from the powder room with the staircase running east-west along the DR back wall. The pantry & powder room can be reconfigured, but major rearrangement of walls, with the exception of the doglock, would impact many other things in the overall design.

Anyway, I sure would appreciate any & all comments and will keep up with this thread to make clarifications. I haven't rounded the edges of the island, peninsula, banquette, etc. since I want to have the basic design right before I apply those tweaks.

Thanks for the help - Jo Ann

Comments (13)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals