SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Inexpensive Kitchen Remodel -- Need Suggestions

rivkadr
10 years ago

I've included a picture of our kitchen; this is from when we originally bought the house 7 years ago. Not much has changed, other than our painting the kitchen a light blue, and replacing the appliances with stainless steel.

As you can see, the cabinets are orange oak, the countertop is white Corian, and the backsplash is white subway tile. The floor is currently cheap vinyl tile that badly needs to be replaced.

What I don't like about the kitchen: just about everything, but we can't afford to do a massive remodel at this time :) I hate oak, and I hate how white everything looks between the countertops and the backsplash. What I'd like to do is an expensive remodel right now that will make it so that I can bear to live with this kitchen for another 5 or so years, and then we'll probably do a full remodel somewhere down the road.

My husband has vetoed the idea of painting the cabinets, so that is not an option.

What I'm thinking of doing:

- replacing the backsplash with something a little more exciting (and colorful)
- putting in a new floor that will hopefully tie in nicely with the backsplash; probably vinyl tile again.
- new paint
- hardware on the cabinets

We're capable of doing this all ourselves, as we've remodeled the rest of the house. The one thing I always second-guess myself on, though, is things like color and design. I'd really love to hear some ideas on the following things:

- what backsplash would look good with oak cabinets and white countertops? Hopefully something *other* than white subway tile?
- what color would you paint the walls to hopefully try to make the orangey-ness of the cabinets not quite so orange?
- what kind of hardware would you add to the cabinets? Knobs or pulls? The rest of our house is brushed nickel, but I'm debating how good that would look with the orange oak.

The rest of our house is Brazilian cherry hardwood floors, slate tiles, and earth tones in most places. I'm not expecting to get the kitchen to the same attractiveness level as the rest of our house, especially with a limited budget...I'd just like to move out of the 1980's a bit...

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations