SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpirson

Kitchen Cabinet Ideas - 1925 Semi-bungalow

tpirson
11 years ago

I'm closing on a house and aside from paint, the first major project will be to refresh the kitchen. The attached photo was taken during one of our walkthroughs. At this point, we are just gathering ideas of how to bring some of the Craftsman style back into our semi-bungalow.

Any work we do will probably only be inexpensive and cosmetic at this point. This is our first home, so please point out any beginner's mistakes.

FRIDGE

The fridge is too big for its current place, making it awkward to get into the cabinets next to it. There is space next to the stove to move it into, but then the view from the dining room is mostly the side of the fridge. Any ideas here? If we do move it, I will be building a freestanding pantry sized to the space.

RANGE

The range has no hood vent, so I see the windows and ceiling fan getting much use. In the future, extending the cabinets over the range (and possibly over the fridge) and installing a hood unit is very likely.

CEILING

The first thing I'm doing is checking above those drop ceiling panels. Going by the height of the adjacent dining room, there should a few extra inches above there. Remove paneling and framework, assess existing ceiling, repair whatever exists above and paint white. Also, raise existing ceiling fan to new ceiling height.

CABINETS

For the cabinets, my first thought to give them a bit more interest and simulate Shaker style cabinet doors with 1/4" plywood. Basically, my idea is to cut roughly 3" wide strips(to change with actual measurements of cabinet) and adhere them to the surface of the existing doors, fill any of the perimeter gaps/edge, sand smooth and paint white. Replace hardware with simple dark metal knobs.

The wasted open space between the tops of the existing cabinets and the ceiling bothers me and seems to be good for nothing but collecting dust. Is there any danger in enclosing that space and creating an extra row of cabinets up to the ceiling matching the placement of the existing upper cabinet doors? I'm not sure how I would go about doing it, but that open space irks me.

BACKSPLASH/WALL BENEATH UPPER CABINETS

The original backsplash has many many coats of paint on it and at some point, someone screwed a piece of clear acrylic over it. That has since cracked around at least one screw so it's coming off. No real ideas what to do here. Subway tile would seem to add too much more white to the kitchen. Any handy/ingenious craftsman style backsplash ideas?

WALLS

The first floor of the house is essentially an "L" formed by the living room, dining room and kitchen.

The only current room on the first floor that won't be painted is the living room, which is warm golden yellow, next to it, the dining room will be painted a rich maroon, and finally the kitchen will be a desaturated blue/blue-green (wikipedia calls the closest match "Glaucous"). I have a variety of paint swatches to throw at the walls. So we'll see what the colors look like in the natural light of the house.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022