SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Really struggling to pick a floor...HELP!

youngdeb
11 years ago

We are doing a refresh, not a gut. Initially I wanted marmoleum, for a lot of reasons...tile is too hard on my back, wood is hard to maintain. I also need to do the back hallway that leads to the back yard and pool, which is a major throughway for swimmers headed to the "pool" bathroom, and thought marmoleum would be a good choice for both the kitchen and the hallway.

Then the marmoleum installer came by to quote me and never rang me back again. She was a little strange while she was here, and I basically could never get her attention after that.

Doorway to the hallway, along with new counters, painted cabs and new door faces:

So...I decided to go with wood in the kitchen and porcelain tile in the hallway. Samples came in, and now I'm at a loss.

The attached dining room (and many rooms beyond) are all wood, so I felt I should match it in color. But the floor color in those rooms is close enough to my cabinets but not quite a match, so if I DO match them, I think it will look goofy in the kitchen...like I've chosen a floor that doesn't match my cabs.

You can see the color difference pretty well in this picture, the floors in DR have a lot of gold in them:

I would go back to marmoleum, but a) crazy lady installer and b) DH and contractor are now completely on the Wood Floor Bandwagon and can't imagine anything else. DH doesn't have any ideas, contractor says go with a super dark wood floor. I'm starting to lean that direction, but aren't dark wood floors a super big pain to clean? (I have two young sons)

Should I make the effort to find another marmoleum installer and start again?

I would love peanut gallery advice, I am now officially in analysis paralysis. I haven't chosen a backsplash either, naturally.

GAH!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia