SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

Need Ideas for Best Use of 15 Inch Base Cabinet Space

lmalm53
15 years ago

I need some creative thinking please. We are keeping our existing custom cabinets in our kitchen remodel but I have a 15 inch wide space that will be available when I pull out the old Trash Compactor which I never used. I am trying to think of a functional use for that space. I do not really need more storage and since that area is already wired for electric I am thinking along the lines of a beverage cooler or similar insert going into that space. My old SubZero fridge is on the opposite side of the counter though and will be staying with the remodel. I know it seems a little redundant to have a beverage cooler in the same basic region but I am at a loss to think of what else I could use that space for.

I did see a cool post where someone had a specially built hydraulic powered scissor type shelf to keep their Kitchenaid mixer on that would raise the mixer to counter level and then go back down into the cabinet for storage. Would be nice to keep the counter top clear. I do use my mixer alot so want to keep it handy.

I can always just convert the space to a pull out waste bin and not make use of the wiring already there. I know it seems silly not to use the existing trash compactor but I just never did take to that feature and it is old and clashes with my new appliances.

My kitchen remodel is constrained by the current cabinet layout but that is one space I can certainly do something with. I would appreciate any ideas or input on what you would do with that 15 inch wide space if you had it. Thanks!

Comments (10)