SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danceme

butcherblock vs granite

danceme
9 years ago

So we are doing a kitchenette/project/craft/party food serving in the basement. The cabinetry is white-ish. The floors are walnut. I wanted to do dark walnut butcher block countertops (there won't be a ton of food prep there, so not lots of water exposure). I was led to believe that the countertops would be very inexpensive. As in less than $1000 for 66 SF. We are not chronic remodelers, so i like to choose classic things on the expensive/permanant stuff and do trendy things with the easy to change details. But for that low of a price point I figured if I got sick of it in a few years, I could swap them out.

Then we got the first bid. $5k. What? No. Now we are down to Maple for $2880. Or we could do granite (a level one option) for $4k. I love the warmth, texture and contrast of the butcher block. I also love that not a lot of people have it. But if we went with granite, what color would I do? Black? Dark gray? I decorate in cool colors. That is what I've always liked. I suppose a granite color like suede could approximate the color I was looking for in the wood, but it doesn't have the texture and warmth. Is $2880 inexpensive enough to be disposable in 5 or 10 years?

Is butcher block something trendy that will date my house a few years from now? We are sooooo close to being done with this whole thing. This has been the latest big glitch holding everything up. the cabinet guy can't finish his install until we get these countertops dealt with.

I would love some input.

PS I already looked into Ikea countertops and they are indefinitely out of stock.

Comments (27)