SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

Pendant lighting for beach house

ravmd
12 years ago

I love the look of Yoke style lighting.. but not the price. I came across these ones that were very reasonable, particularly the first one with the pulley system. So i went ahead and ordered it to see what they look like.

I need 2 lights for above the island and 2 lights above the kitchen table (it's a long 87" white table). The house is a second home near the beach.. so want a nautical or casual type of light.

So I could use the pulley pendants in either place. i just don't know how to coordinate 2 more lights... or do I get 4 of the same one??

Or bag the pulley lights and go with something else.

Here are some others that looked interesting. Any thoughts?

#1)

2)

4)

(prepped according to splurgeorsteal blog-brushed nickel look)

island area. Table will be to the right of the refrigerator.

(

Comments (35)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

At first glance, I like #1 or #2 best, but then I started thinking that the #4 looks pretty nautical so that might fit your surroundings better. You didn't provide dimensions for these pendants, but they look smaller so I'm not sure two of them will do the trick for a table. Is that the only lighting at the table?

• redwood15
    12 years ago

I like #4 the best, reads nautical to me too!

• Related Discussions

Recessed light about 5' from a pendant light-- strange??

Q

Comments (1)
    I think it may look a little strange, but I'm no expert. I guess you can't take it out and then buy one of those large round ceiling medalions (a large enough diameter to cover the hole of the nearby can light) and mount the new pendant from the medalion???
    ...See More

Kitchen Pendants- Which pendant light for this kitchen?

Q

Comments (6)
    I like them all, but not number 2, but maybe that one will work for your taste- it's just not mine. I really like 3 and 4 (the one your husband likes).
    ...See More

Kitchen pendant lighting. Single large pendant?

Q

Comments (4)
    I think a larger black tone lantern would look great. You have only a single light box.. I wouldn't do three. I would personally do one or two decent size lanterns left and right. The size and width of the island would need to be known if you are hanging multiples. Many different lanterns out there in black. I favor the Darlana by Visual Comforts. It's very well made and has more straight lines than the mock up above. The iron on the one above across the top each piece is slightly rounded. This is Darlana however obviously showing in the gold tone. It's available in dark, gold and silver tone. With a lantern the ceilings will need to be fairly high.
    ...See More

What pendant lights goes with our dining area lighting?

Q

Comments (2)
    I don’t think the fixtures above your island have to match exactly with the pendant over your table. BUT, I don’t think the 2 options you’ve chosen work together.
    ...See More
  • ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, it seems they all are around 8" width and most are 8-9" tall. Except the pulley one, it is 10.6"wide.

The kitchen has recessed lighting with the 2 closest ones to the kitchen table in front of the refrigerator and at the far corner of the island directly across from the fridge. So the table lighting will be the primarily from the pendant lights.

Whatever is picked would you do all 4 the same or coodinating? Having a tough time picking out 2 and 2 that match.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Don't try to use two different selections of the group you've shown, if that's what you're asking. They're too much alike to have the difference look intentional.

I would suggest putting two of whichever of the above you like best (I like all EXCEPT the pulley, which doesn't feel right to me in a casual, beach house setting) over the peninsula. Then pick two larger versions of the same one or two different but complementary pendants for your table.

By the way...two pendants over an 8 foot plus table is a stretch. To give the kind of diffused, spread out light you'll want,they'll need to be larger than the 8 " width you're looking at (think minimium 12"- 14") . And if it's not too late, I'd seriously contemplate three lamps over such a long table.

If you don't like the "matchiness" of having two different sizes of the same pendant, try looking for something quite different for over the table, maybe a drum shaded chandelier or something with a white or prismatic glass globe instead of an open bottom. They'll coordinate if they are similar in feel...transitional vs. modern; casual vs. formal; curviness vs. straightlines; ornate vs. plain; etc. For example...that last pendant you have from Hampton Bay would be the one that would work best with drum shaded chandelier over the table. Why? Because the bottom of it is more or less straight sided, like the drum shades, whereas all the others have very curved or conical lines. And I could see the third one (the kichler) with a prismatic dome type pendant, because the shades are both dome (1/2 globe) types.

HTH

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Melissa said exactly what I was trying to say (except she clarified much better). THe pendants are not going to work (at the 8" size) for the table. You need to find something larger like a chandelier. I don't think a larger version of the same pendant will look right.

HTH

• drdannie
    12 years ago

I agree with others who have responded - I don't think they should all be the same (even using larger or smaller versions) pendant. What about a chandelier over the table? I really like your pendants - especially #2 (the one under the pulley one). Do you recall where you saw it.
    Thx.

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for trying to explain how to coordinate the 2. Melissa , that was a great explanation and it was timely as I was sitting in a Sports Clips barber shop with my 3 boys and they had 2 different type of pendant lights -one was a smaller industrial steel pendant and then there were 2 much larger ones that were a white frosted glass dome with a steel rim. I get it now! Not that Sports Clips should be my inspiration... but they would actually work.

I knew the 5 above could not be combined... I just didn't know where to start to pick a coordinating one if I chose one of the 5 for above the island. And I see why a much larger one is needed at the table.
    I can't do a chandelier as we alright wired for 2 lights.

Drdannie, the #2 is found here:
    http://www.lightingdirect.com/quoizel-er1508-contemporary-modern-single-light-down-lighting-pendant-from-the-emery-collection/p835693

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Actually I am a fan of #1 for a beach house. The pully speaks very nautical to me, and a bit of whimsy to add that special touch. I would also do a chandelier over the table.

I too am in the process of renovating a beach house and spent a lot of time on my lighting. Each piece was chosen for it's space as a statement piece and am so glad I went with this approach. My decor is very N.E. coastal with lots of white and wood tones so wanted the lighting to really be special.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Here's a website that seems to specialize in nautical styled lighting. A bit pricey, but unique. Might be more rustic than you're looking for. You might also try googling nautical lighting for more options.

I like the pulley pendant for over your island. I would look for something completely different and fairly substantial in size for over the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fredeco Lighting

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Coastal: I think your beach house and the OP's are different species. I agree that the pulley style would look great in your beach house (assuming I'm remembering the pics, correctly...white cabs, white marble, nickel pulls?...sort of old New England?)

The OP's has a more contemporary feel...at least that's how I pictured it, given the windows.

• juniork
    12 years ago

too funny...I just bought 3 of the Kichler pendants, which are very similar to the Quoizel #2 ones above. I have a roughly 10 ft peninsula, and I used the 12" ones x 3. I think that may not be enough, but I have no choice, since the electrical is already in, and if I go any bigger than 12", then it starts looking like a mini-chandelier, not a pendant.
    I'd agree with everyone else...go with 12", and of course, my personal favorite is #2. Good luck!

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

I have a hard time seeing that she is going for true modern here given the choices, and out of the 4 choices, the only "modern-ish" pendant choice in my opinion is # 3. #1 I would say is more industrial (modern vibe), and #2 & #4 cottage, #5 rustic (my opinion). I could not have put #1 in my decor scheme (2,4 & 5 maybe).

Also I've been following the progress pics of the house and see the furniture (slipcovered sofas in that cottage pottery barn style) and don't see anything super modern here (window casings don't look finished). Maybe you can chime in ravmd and pop a pic in here of your adjoining room to give us a better idea of you house style? This would help in choosing a favorite.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

I just found this link where ravmd posts pics of adjoining room. Wow my memory is not as bad as I thought :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: ravmd's house pics

• maruha
    12 years ago

At first glance, 2 and 3 are my favorites, and 2's detail would stand out a bit more. I do like 1 though. I think if you mix something different, you should pick one or the other to be more unique or the focal point.

For example, if the island is more easily seen than the table from the rest of the house, you may want to decide that the island lights should stand out less (so as not to distract from the kitchen itself,) and then have something more unique (like the pulleys or a fun chandy) over the table.

Or you may want the exact opposite, that's just my instinct. Could I sound less opinionated with my opinion?
    Hee.

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I love waking up to suggestions!! Thank you all, and for posting the extra pics coastal! There aren't too many more.. just the other end of the family room in front of the sofa. It is pretty sparse, but basically the bucket chairs will be covered in a dark blue slip cover. As far as style...this is a struggle for me, but I would say Pottery Barn but like some modern touches, all on an Ikea budget! does that help? We don't plan to keep some of the items (ie the coffee table -which was free and painted to get by for now). Drapes will just be a khaki linen with white sheers layered.
    And yes the kitchen table is not really visible from the family room-it's in a nook to the right of the fridge. This was a photo that inspired me from the start and we will have a long 87" (Ikea!) white table with a built in bench along the long and short side with lots of pillows. And there's those white domes again! (is this something that could be combined with one of the chrome/steel looking pendants above). Many have mentioned chandeliers but since we wired for 2 lights , it seems I have to stick with pendants (but large ones?)
    flwrs: now I wish I had wired for a chandelier above the table! Love those in the link! very nautical but modern looking!

Does that help at all??
    My sense is I could almost make any of the 5 pendants work at the island, but finding the right match for the table (or visa versa as maruha mentioned as a possibility) is the tricky part! I do love the white ones in the photo below ..but they seem harder to find at a lower price. maybe that will need to be our splurge if it's the right fit?

And the far end of the room:

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

I think I have a better idea of where you are going here. Maybe consider a material like wood/weaved or linen pendants for the 2 over the table in a drum shade. I don't believe you need to "match" lighting in a space, they do need to "go" together though. I don't have acess to any pics-using my iPhone, but have some great weaved look, wood and linen type drum pendants on my computer. I can try and get some up here before tomorrow if you think this is something you might like. I agree not to try and combine any of the above pendants. They each have a different vibe to me, and I do not see good combo.

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds just right coastal. No rush , just trying to get little things done while my husband finishes up the bigger items. The linen or weaved look sounds perfect!. I actually had several photos of that type of roman shade but decided to hold off as there are so many windows I want to see what is needed if anything eventually.

Oh and re. counters, definitely no marble... we are using stained butcher block (you guessed it.. Ikea!) so more casual/cottage feel I guess.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Oh I guess while typing on my phone-not so easy, I didn't clarify the drum shade... I meant a drum shade pendant light!! Actually weaved roman shades will look good too! soo many choices and so little time. The race is on, it is going to be 90 up here tomorrow!

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, I was rushing typing too . I understood you meant a drum shade pendant light (not roman shades) , but just confirming I think you understood the overall style we are going for as I was considering wood/linen roman shades for the windows.That's all. Agree that the drum shade could really work at the table. I was in Lowes today and they had a 10" linen one . Will keep an eye out for more.
    You must be north of us! 97 F here tomorrow. Kids are already getting out of school 1/2 day due to heat!

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Some really cool budget friendly options at west elm if you haven't seen them yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: west elm lighting

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the west elm ones! The glass globes are so cool and the white industrial ones are neat. And even the woven ones.
    I think this part is the hardest... lighting , pendants, fabric, etc.

I had ordered the pulley ones just to get a start with something and they were If we ended up keeping the pulley ones.. do any of these west elm ones coordinate with them? If it helps , I am hoping to find wicker/rattan stools for the island, but I prefer swivel so it will take some research.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

In another universe, my MIL had pulley pendant over the dining table. I wish I'd looked farther regarding these when I was redoing own kitchen--you will set them and forget them if you are typical, but if you are finicky, these will please you more than many other lights because you can readjust the position which cuts the glare.

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well we are revisiting lighting. We ordered the pulley one (option 1) and one did not work properly. They were very inexpensive and concerned even if we replace it , it will not last long. Also thought the size is ok (9.5") , but we could possibly use a larger pendant so that rules out some of the original options (4) and feel the other ones may be too fancy for our setting.

This is what #1 looked like:

So we can either shop for a similar pendant but better quality or change altogether. Thinking we want something more rustic/industrial than the original selections. These were a few we came across:

From Cottageand bungalow.com
    A)

b) (my dh likes this one. I can hear my parents asking if we made it from a wire trash can? but it is cool.)

c)Ikea

D)barnlightelectric.com

E)barnlightelectric.com

Any more votes?? Is this a better group to pick from than the first set? I like the one we tried but he is opposed to keeping it due to quality and I have not found anything similar. I also dont want to spend $300 each on anything....
    I also like a white industrial pendant from West elm but not sure if we need a contrast from our white cabinets.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Of the new options, I like E best...

• momtotwinboys
    12 years ago

I just bought E... so that is my choice.

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

momtotwinboys..when will you be installing?? would love to see a picture of it!

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Bummer about the pulley, it was my fave.

Hmm...if another pulley is off the table, my votes are for #4 in the first set and E in the second set.

I like the idea of the woven West Elm pendant or the small drum for the table, or something similarly textured. It seems to go so well with the beach/organic feel you are going for.

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do like the pulley too..maybe I can convince him to exchange the non working one. #4 I am afraid is on the small side but I have to go back and find the dimensions on it. just looks small to me. but i do like the nautical look it has.

re. the table lighting. after spending the weekend there with ceiling fans in the adjacent room, I am really sorry we didn't just wire for a ceiling fan over the table. we wired for 2 drum/pendant type lights. I asked my husband if would want to change that out and he is not crazy abou the idea. the breeze in the family room is really nice, but the kitchen is still. still working on him. Otherwise i do like the woven or drum pendants. I was never crazy about a ceiling fan over a table but..here it would be very functional.

• momtotwinboys
    12 years ago

We will hopefully be installing later this week or early next week. I will post pictures as soon as I have them.

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great.. will look for those.

#4 in the first set is back in the running too. I found the non-mini version of it that is 16" diameter:

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

OK...I like #4 better than E. Sorry for the change in opinion :)

• brickton
    12 years ago

What about these from Pottery Barn? I saw them in the last catalog and thought of your kitchen. At only $80 for the small, they're a pretty darn good deal.

{{!gwi}}

• Lesyeuxbleu
    12 years ago

I am also building a beach house and going for the same look. I am also planning a white on white kitchen. I do like the pulley, adds a bit of unexpected detail. I also agree with other posts that your pendants should be wider. I like your idea of mixing the stainless pendants (whichever you choose) with the white glass and stainless looking ones. I found similar ones at Ballard designs. I can't figure out how to post a picture though. here is the link I think. I'd love links to your lighting sources;).

PS Great Job on your remodel!

Here is a link that might be useful: New Port Pendant

• ravmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just realized there were a few more posts. Bricton,those would be perfect and price is great. We are going to see what can lighting will do with the pulley ones we bought. If we can only get credit we may order the #4 style in the 16" size. If we get a refund, I may try those pottery barn ones.

Lbleu, I hadn't looked at Ballard either..they do have some interstitial g ones as well. I put the source of the lights in the 2nd group but not a direct link. For the 1st group I don't have them with me and only have my iPad so hard to get the links again. But I mostly found them by googling nautical pendants, industrial pendants, or yoke industrial. If I come across the sources again I will let you know. 2 were from CSN lighting. 1 was kichler I think.

• Lesyeuxbleu
    12 years ago

We went to a local lighting design store (surprisingly more affordable than I had thought) and I found some lights I think we will use. (love the PB and restoration hardware, but gonna be over budget)

Kichler Item number 2664 or 2665 or 2666: 8" or 10.5" or 13.5: wide
    I saw the 2666 for about $230 online and I think the store will give us a builders discount.???

They also had a matching lamp for over my sink it has one thing/ attachment to the ceiling and then a bar with 3 lights on it in the same style item #7050.

Thanks for checking on that. I am happy to find kichler, especially with the matching ove sink light=).

Best of luck