SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Considering updating layout: Help!!!

navi_jen
13 years ago

Hi GWers

Long time lurker, first time poster. I need help with updating the flow of my house, hoping you all could help.

Last fall, I purchased a 1918 Farmhouse in the Boston suburbs. Over the holidays, when I was away, the old boiler shut down, and the supply line pipes for the kitchen & bath burst. As I removed one of the kitchen wall's plaster/lathe (for access to the pipes), I hit the motherlode: The kitchen plaster walls & ceiling were wet & smelly, the 1980s bath remodel had removed several key joists/supports, the bathroom's supply lines were a hatchet job, electric wiring was a mess, plus, the radiator supply pipes were rusted beyond belief. So, the disaster was a blessing in disguiseÂI demo-ed the entire kitchen so that I could fix the plumbing, structural, electric and smell issues in one fell (albeit drawn out) swoop.

Now: And here is where I need your collective expertise! Now that the walls are open, I'm considering adjusting the kitchen layout. In a perfect world, I would love to add a 3 story addition (garage, family room/big kitchen, master suite & bath) where the side entry currently standsÂbut being single, this is probably not in my long term financial budget.

So, keeping within the current footprint, I was thinking of the following changesÂ

1. Currently, I have an old oil-fired boiler. Since I was going to upgrade to high efficiency, direct vent gas boiler, thought I could remove the chimney, which could allow for an updated layout on all 3 floors.

Removing the chimney would allow me to either:

A) Remove the dining room built in and move the kitchen-to-dining room doorway, allowing for a standard U shaped kitchen layoutÂOR

B) Add a fireplace (which I would LOVE) to the existing chimney, while leaving the kitchen with a less than idea layout. I know A is the right choice, but I hate to give up on the idea of a fireplaceÂ

Which would you choose? Why? Any other suggestions?

Also, any ideas (retaining pseudo-historic feeling) for the windows in the kitchen? My backyard is a 60 acre town forest, so I'd love to add windows and bring in lots of light (and views) into the kitchen.

For reference, I am single and love to cook. However, I want to keep the renovation within the character of an old house and not outrageously flashy, as my neighborhood is mostly 1200-1500 square feet 1910 bungalows.

Thanks!

House Visuals (old owners' belongings): http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111690&id=741389658&l=c968112f40

Layout ideas(view as slideshow to get full size): share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AYsWblq0ZsWT6o

Comments (14)