SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrygirl217

Update on oak kitchen (pics)

countrygirl217
12 years ago

I posted several months ago about our new home with oak cabinets. We are now in the heat of a house overhaul and after reading a few threads recently I thought I would chime in with an update on our progress and ask for some input.

After we purchased our forever house we decided to replace the existing carpet with hardwood floors (there was carpet in the bedrooms and a few other rooms). We had originally planned to tie into the existing oak floors but it proved to be very expensive and we were spending money on floors we didn't really like. Then we found water damage on the hardwoods in the kitchen and found that the existing wood was very poor quality. So we decided to overhaul all floors and put gorgeous wide plank walnut floors everywhere but bathrooms. It is expensive! But worth it for us.

This brings me to the issue with the kitchen. I had planned on keeping it all except maybe changing the hardware and countertops but the corona in the island cracked when they tried to move the island out for the floors, then we found that the island was poor quality and literally fell apart when the corian was taken off. And instead of replacing with another piece of corian that I didn't like to begin with, we decided to build a new island and replace the countertops and hardware and paint the oak cabinets. I ordered rustic alder island and I picked out soapstone slabs for everywhere. I amso excited to see it all come together. Just when I thought I had it figured out I am getting painters try to talk me out of painting the oak perimeter cabinets. They are functional quality cabinets but look dated next to the walnut floors. I see no reason to order new cabinets. I am not replacing the appliances or chaining anything about the layout (except the island will sit straight instead of crooked). Is painting oak white that terrible? Or are my painters all just scared? Would it be better to paint frames and order new doors?

I apologize for some typos...my iPad won't let me scroll up and fix them. Corona is meant corian...autocorrect is my enemy some days :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Taken a few days ago before the island came out.

Comments (18)