SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_greendesigns_

I've gone over to ''The Dark Side''!

GreenDesigns
11 years ago

Many of you have lamented as to how difficult it is to find an independent Kitchen Designer. Well, due to needing a more predictable and regular income, sadly, as of about a month ago, one less independent KD is available in my market.

I went to work for a box store and now wear a red vest.

And, man, is it different! I'm used to helping a client through all phases of the project, whereas here, pretty much all they want me to do is churn out cabinet layouts for customers. They ARE in the middle of a change in their policies to allow a more "whole project" type focus and they've hired me as one of the first wave of people to help them implement that. But, there's still a long way to go and I feel like a fish out of water in so many ways!

There is one BIG change for them that s part of that tweaking their customer service philosophy. They have eliminated the bonuses given to cabinet sales people as well as appliance sales people. And there have been a LOT of openings in the stores as a result. Hopefully, this will result in better prices for the consumer rather than just eliminating a lot of experienced and skilled personnel. Time will tell on that front. (I think I will do a separate FYI post on that for discussion.)

I hope to keep contributing here as an "insider" to the blue giant, but I've been putting in a lot of hours just to be able to get my feet under me. Just their antiquated computer system alone is enough to make me tear my hair out!

Comments (26)