SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maschka1

Help needed with picking backsplash

maschka1
10 years ago

Hello,
We just got our new granite counter tops installed and although they are beautiful, they are not what I expected and now I am not sure how to handle installing a backsplash. We have a walnut travertine on the floor in the kitchen, and the counters turned out to be more brown tones then I expected (I thought it would have more grey/white). Our budget could not afford new cabinets, so unfortunately we have oak. My concern is that when trying to pick a backsplash, I need something that will be neutral and hopefully not become to dated (we are only going to be in this house for 4-5 years). I originally thought I wanted white subway tiles, but now that I see the counters and cabinets have so many gold/brown tones, I am not sure if stark white is the right choice. My other concern, however, is that both the floor and the counter have a lot of character and pattern to them. If I were to add a 3rd stone type for the backsplash then I am concerned that it will clash and cause the room to be "too busy."

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to pick a back splash when I already have 2 different natural stones in the room that dont, exactly match?

Also, we added the peninsula to the kitchen. On the back side are book shelves for my cookbooks. My mother said she feels that the white stands out like a sore thumb. All the trim in the house is white (or will be), so I thought it fit in, OK. I wouldn't mind any impressions on that, as well.

My last Idea would be to paint the cabinets white, as well, and then maybe white subway tiles would work better? But this scares me quite a bit. I would hate to ruin the cabinets that are under our new granite counters...

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!

Comments (10)