SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenma_gw

what would you do with this kitchen?

jenma
13 years ago

I've tried working with designers at cabinet companies, making my own designs but every time I get wonderful feedback I want to go in another direction. I thought I would step back and give GW-ers the empty layout and see what you would do.

Right now, my impasse is from a comment from bmorepanic who suggest I put the front door at the lefthand side window (40") and use the mudroom as a 1/2 bath or pantry or closet. GREAT IDEA! Now how do I fit in seating for the kitchen?

Thanks in Advance!

What are your goals? To have a kitchen that functions well for several cooks and has an area to eat in. Also I would LOVE to make the mudroom a 1/2 bath and put the front door where the 40" window to the left of the room is.

What is your family composition? 2 adults (+ 2-3 kids in the future)

How many kitchen workers are there? Usually just me, but DH likes to clean-up as I cook. When I have dinner parties, everyone likes to "help"

How do you see your kitchen used? Cooking, hanging out, eating occasionally (although dining room is directly next to it)

Do you entertain a lot? Informal, maybe 1-2/month

Do you have a separate DR? Really it's more like an eat-in kitchen, that is 7'x12' at the bottom of the kitchen layout that will have a built-in window seat with a 60x60 table

Where are you flexible? Layout

Can windows or doorways change size? YES! They can get smaller (especially the one on the top), but CANNOT be moved OR get bigger, doorway can move to 40" window on the left hand side (we're open to any door sizes/styles)

Can any walls come down? No

Does the sink have to be centered under a window? Yes

Does it have to be under a window at all? No

Do you bake? Do you want a coffee/tea/beverage center? Not really, although we need a place to put the electric kettle (usually next to the sink for easy fill up, but if we got a pot filler, it could go next to the stove)

What appliances do you plan on having (helps to figure out work flow, work zones, and types of cabinets...upper/lower vs full height, etc.) Microwave, electric kettle, espresso maker, toaster are the mainly used ones

Range or Cooktop? 36" Range

Single or Double or no Wall Oven? None

Warming Drawer? no

MW? Any, although we prefer it to be hidden (right now looking at 24" GE convection MW oven), and we mainly use it for reheating leftovers/coffee/teat, popcorn and defrosting, although it would be great to have a 2nd smaller oven for hot summers or thanksgiving.

DW? Standard 24". I like the dishes to be stored as close to the DW as possible. Also I like the cleanup sink and DW to be out of the main cooking area so as to allow DH to cleanup as I cook and not get in my way and future kids to set the table while I'm cooking.

Refrigerator? CD bottom-freezer 36x72 KA

Ventilation Hood? 36" Venta Hood

***** Very Important *****

Is there anything you:

Can't live without? Trash pull out, seating in the kitchen for 2

Definitely don't want? Not really

Would like if you can find a way? drawers to put pots in (or lazy susan), place to put trays/cookie sheets/tins, prep sink if space allows

Description

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjen/4662973089/

Comments (16)