SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
takkone_gw

Let's Talk Pre Rinse Faucets

Takkone
11 years ago

Let's put looks aside. I can see how people love and hate the look of these giants in a home kitchen. I'm one who likes the look of them. But I'd like to discus FUNCTION.

Here is the one I am currently considering, made by Elkay:

It is 24" tall at its apex above the deck. Now, I could not find a local retailer that has the Elkay in their show room. But I checked out a similar pre rinse faucet, by Danze:

What struck me right away was how rigid the coil/spring is on this faucet. They really don't allow for much maneuvering as far as angling the head from side to side. They also hardly pull down vertically at all, maybe an inch or so lower than its docked position. But I notice that the spring on the Danze goes all the way to the head, while the Elkay spring stops much shorter, which I would hope would give it much more lateral flexibility. But I don't think it could extend DOWN any further?

So now I'm concerned that these kinds of faucets will blast water from a rather high height above the sink, causing the stream to be really wide by the time it hits dishes in the bottom of the sink, in other words, not a precise stream. Also there seems to be a lot more potential for splashing and getting water outside of the sink.

So then I started looking at the more common pull-down type faucets. These faucet heads can extend in ANY direction in most cases 8" - 10" from their docked position. Much more flexible from what I could tell.

Can someone confirm my observations? Anyone have a pre rinse and can share your experience? Thanks.

Comment (1)