SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Finalizing Floorplan Assistance Sought

localeater
11 years ago

Dear Gardenweb, I have been reading you and learning from you for many months. Now I want your wisdom.

I love my floorplan. It is a change from a U to an L with an island, and as a bonus it let's more light into our front hall. In fact letting light into our front hall and opening up the kitchen became such an issue this past winter that we demolished the closet wall that was the impediment and we have been living with the new floor plan quite happily. Well, except for the holes in the floor....

Now we are getting close to ordering the new cabinets that will make it pretty again and I have a couple of areas on the mockup that I am questioning.

{{gwi:1886142}}From Kitchen

The 2 corners of the L are anchored by the refrigerator and a tall hutch. I don't want a cabinet over the fridge; should the hutch be the same height(72"), should it be even with the top of the window (78") or should it go as high as the beam that goes around the ceiling(which is how it is drawn except the drawing doesn't show the beams)?

I am thinking of having this cabinet changed to a lift up door on the bottom to store our coffee paraphernalia. In case this impacts your thoughts on the height issue.

Also, on the raised end of the island, I want a cabinet on legs(not shown) as opposed to being closed in. My husband thinks this is silly but I like the openness, plus I am thinking I can keep the dogs water bowl there, is this OK?

Comments (10)