SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seastar1

shallow cabinets - vent hood help!

seastar1
11 years ago

Hi,

This is my first post at garden web and I need help. Last week my 15 year old over the range (OTR)microwave refused to heat up any more food.

I bought a replacement OTR microwave and then discovered that microwaves have gotten deeper over the years. Unfortunately, my cabinets are only 12 inches deep and the microwave stuck out so much from the cabinet, it became the focus of my kitchen.

I researched and found that companies stopped making 14 inch depth microwaves. So, I decided to return my OTR microwave and go with a vent hood.

Now, I am having a REALLY hard time finding an under cabinet vent hood that will also not stick out too much and be the focus of my kitchen. I am considering a slide out option but the GE slideout wants my cabinet depth to be 12 1/8 inches in order to put the blower in. I will call Broan and Kitchen aid tomorrow to find out their required dimensions for a slide out as well.

Are there other options for me? I have older cabinets that are a distinct pickled oak yellowy color and I can't paint or replace them at this time.

Any ideas on an unobtrusive vent hood for 12 inch depth cabinets? My oven is 30 inches across and I would like any amount of CFMs. Can I wall mount a vent even with some cabinets above it?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert