SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raro_gw

Now for a completely unconventional kitchen

raro
12 years ago

I've been reading about and admiring your kitchens for months. Now it is time to delurk and share our process and current issues in our kitchen renovation. I need help with knob and drawer pulls!!!.

A little background. We are renovating our house and that includes a complete kitchen renovation. The front two rooms of the house (guest room and play room) have been untouched; they date from 1785. The rest of the house which was added in 1902, 1986 and 1994 was gutted down to the studs, walls taken out, second story added. The house was charming but not terribly functional, especially the kitchen. The architect struggled quite a bit with the kitchen plan because it is situated in the entry to the house and has a huge stone antique chimney as well as entrances to other parts of the house as issues to work around. We decided to make the new work modern and to have a natural transition between the colonial times through to the modern times represented in the style. The kitchen style is eclectic. Our town has a historic district commission that has to approval all the exterior aspects of projects and this was the first time they approved a modern addition to a contributing house in the district.

This past week the cabinet maker began installing the cabinets that will define the kitchen out of the open space that is the kitchen/living/dining room � 1) an entryway piece that will have a mirror and drawers and small countertop of Blue Eyes granite facing the door and on the other side will be the fridge (Samsung stainless steel armoire) and a dining height cherry butcher block island and on the side will be storage for table linens 2) along the left wall a coat closet, utility closet and bank of pull-out pantry shelves and the microwave (Miele speed oven), 3) in an L-shape attached to one edge of the chimney the cabinets will only be lower cabinets with a ledge to shield the kitchen from the living dining. Under the ledge and closed off with sliding opaque glass doors will be storage for spices, condiments, oils and vinegars. In the short arm of the L the sink and the dishwasher (Miele with cabinet front) right next to the chimney and in the long arm of the L the range (Capitol Culinarian) and then a floor to ceiling hutch with the back edge being an appliance garage accessed through sliding opaque glass doors. The countertop and sink will be one fabricated piece of stainless steel all the way to the hutch. The hutch countertop will be soapstone.

Now for the colors. This is going to be quite different from the usual kitchen because it is modern and colorful. The floors are wide pine boards that will be finished naturally. The cabinets are painted. The entryway piece is dark gray. The pantry wall is a periwinkle blue. The base cabinets of the L are lighter gray. The range is yellow enamel. The hutch is Chinese red.

After looking some on the web I am at a total loss for the knobs and drawer pulls. Where do I start? How do I do it?

I will try to post some pics from before the hutch went in. I tried successfully on the test forum but don't see here how to embed the pics. Also don't see help on this in the help section. Where do I get help in posting pics?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Raro

Comments (14)