SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

Up-date: The road continues to be slightly bumpy

SusieQusie60
12 years ago

So, just about all of my cabs are installed. Honestly, I absolutely love them and I'm very happy with the layout I ultimately decided on. I've gotten past my severe disappointment about the issues I discovered when the cabinets first came - I think things have pretty much been resolved to my liking. More little thinks keep popping up, however. As much as I like my builder (yea, he's my friend's hubby), I'm really realizing that he might not have been the best choice for the job....he has definitely bitten off more than he can chew, and probably not had quite enough experience in the field. Just a couple examples of the "little" things that have come up over the past few days:

My sink base was installed off-center of the window (and wall.) It was about 2" and I discovered it and it really bugged me. Thank goodness my husband was able to get ahold of the builder when the granite guy was there to measure, because he came over, moved the cabinet over, (apologized profusely) and we were able to move on. Also, he actually installed multiple outlets exactly where granite from the countertop will hit them. 3 outlets need to be moved before the granite can go in. Sorry - that's just kinda dumb. Also, I just realized that because our plans did NOT match exactly the cabinets/layout that the cabinet maker sent (my peninsula is about 9" longer than it was supposed to be) my pendant lighting over it is now not centered. The pendants themselves are not installed yet (just the boxes in the ceiling) and I'm more than a little concerned with how it's going to look. He also needs to come back and do more of a "cut-out" on my 31" sink base for my Blanco to fit in it. (I know many thought I should hold out for the 36" base I had ordered, but we decided that going with the 31" was what we needed to do.)

Probably what's killing me most right now is that he wasn't at my house at all today. There have been way too many days during this project when absolutely nothing was done - not for lack of things to do, but because he was elsewhere working on someone else's job.

So guys, I'm not really writing this so that people will come on and feel sorry for me (although we all know that misery loves company!!) Just sort of putting it all out there so that others can read about my experience and maybe save themselves some anguish.

Just as an aside: I heard my husband on the phone with his brother yesterday. A direct quote: "If I'm still married when this kitchen is done it will be a miracle." I'm pretty sure he was kidding?

SQ

Comments (11)