SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colickyboy

beware black minas soapstone

colickyboy
13 years ago

just an fyi...

a dorado rep told me it was softer than beleza, but the affiliate said it was the same. the affiliate also referred me to a KD who uses their soapstone in many kitchens and the KD told me she's never had a customer complain about the minas.

we got two samples of black minas soapstone from a dorado affiliate. the first one appeared to have a hairline crack in it already. the second one did not have any cracks. i whacked the first sample with a pot. first whack broke the sample into several pieces. i whacked the second sample with the same pot. did not break. i whacked it about 4 or 5 more times and it broke in half.

for comparison, we also got two samples of beleza from the same dorado affiliate. whacked both samples with the same pot several times and only got a few scuff marks and a slight scratch.

i was quite disappointed, as the black minas is more of the classic soapstone look (dark with white veins) whereas the beleza has green veins. granted, i don't plan on banging pots on the countertop, but who knows what could happen?

so if you're getting minas black, be forewarned that it could be fragile... didn't take too many hits to break both samples.

Comments (3)