SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohpup

Resolution for damaged ovens?

poohpup
11 years ago

Thank you so much for all the words of advice and support! It means a lot of me. I've had such a cruddy week . . . . . Ugh.

I went to the appliance store today so that I could deal with the salesman that sold me all my kitchen appliances. He has been great. Very helpful and is horribly embarrassed by this whole thing. He knows the condition the ovens were in when they left the store and he feels they should be replaced. Anyway, I told the Operations Manager that I'd look at other ovens because he was insisting that there were other ovens with the pro handle similar to my Thermador. So off I go and I walked around the whole store and saw lots of pro handles that look nothing like the ones on my ovens. Specifically the one on my Thermador warming drawer that sits directly below my ovens that I purchased because it matched my Thermador ovens.

Salesman was on the phone when I got there so I looked around by myself until he was free. Turns out he was on the phone with Mr. Operations Manager. Mr. Operations Manager told him to offer me the following options:

1. Keep my damaged, potentially unsafe ovens and they will extend the warranty to 5 years. I'm guessing with this option Mr. Operations Manager hopes that the ovens won't burn my house down until 5 years and 1 day after start of said warranty. Not a big fan of this option.

2. There is a Thermador Pro floor model at another store. This is the new model with double convection and is supposed to be in "perfect" shape. They will handle the installation and he wants me to pony up the cost difference estimated at $800.

3. Get store credit on my damaged ovens and get brand new in the box Thermador ovens. They'll take care of installation and I'll pony up approximately $2,000.

I told him that I would be quite happy with the floor model at the other store but didn't understand why I needed to spend $800 to replace the ovens that they damaged. So my vote was for option #2 minus the requirement that I pay extra for them. The salesman asked if I would go out to the store and look at them to make sure they were in acceptable condition before he called Mr. Operations Manager back. So I spend an hour to drive out to the other store to check out the ovens. They have a small scratch on the top of the lower door but I don't see anything else. They'll work great. So the sales manager there passes that along to my salesman. I'm thinking this is going to be resolved soon, thank goodness.

This afternoon my salesman left me a message. Mr. Operations Manager is willing to do the floor model ovens and installation for $480. The reason I need to pay $480 is because they had to pay over $500 for parts to try to fix my damaged ovens, they will have done three oven installations which cost them money, and they will have lost money on the original ovens. The salesman said in the message that Mr. Operations Manager wanted to make sure that I understood this had cost them money and they needed to recoup some of that expense.

Hmmmm . . . . . . you know I was actually feeling kind of okay about it until they made an effort to point out in detail how much this has cost them and how difficult this has been for them. That actually royally ticked me off. I mean, . . . . . . . really. They come into my home, destroy MY ovens and cause great inconvenience to me and then, instead of apologies, have to whine about how difficult it has been for THEM????? Maybe it is just the crappy week that I've had. Maybe I'm being too sensitive and I'm just tired. I don't know. That really did p**s me off. And, for the record, I paid for one of those installations. In fact, that would just happen to be the installation where THEIR installers caused the damage that destroyed my otherwise new ovens. And I also expressed real concern that the ovens couldn't be fixed in the first place because the damage was so severe. It was their insistence that they try to fix the ovens so please don't whine to me about the expense.

So I need some help. Hubby says just pay the $480 and be done with it. I think they ought to replace my floor model ovens with the other floor model ovens and I shouldn't have to pay a cent. Am I being unreasonable? It really leaves a sour taste in my mouth to accept that deal. What do you think?

Comments (85)