SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
searun_gw

Kitchen Floorplan Help!

searun
11 years ago

I'm a frequent visitor to this forum and have enjoyed reading everyone's insights around kitchen design. Our family is in the early stages of planning a substantial kitchen remodel and have 3 solid plans from our architect to work with.

Each plan has a large eat-in area with built-in bench seating and a large island (roughly 11' x 3'). Key differences are:

1) Cooktop island vs range along wall

2) Fridge location

3) Pantry/wet bar location

It's hard to choose a clear winner among the plans. Ideally I would like to avoid the island cooktop, but it seems to allow for a better work triangle than the other plans. Fridge location appears to be the biggest challenge in the other plans that substitute a range for the island cooktop.

Other important things to note is that the sunroom is currently closed off from the kitchen, so creating an opening between the 2 rooms is one of the goals of the remodel. There is also a view to the south, so we are trying to preserve as many windows as possible on the side with the kitchen sink. The completed kitchen will be roughly 350-400 sq ft.

Here are the plans:

Plan A - Cooktop on island with wall ovens, good fridge placement and work triangle. The downsides are the island cooktop and having the wall ovens next to the fridge:

Plan B1 - I really like this plan, especially the butler pantry setup with the wet bar. However I have major concerns about the work triangle because the fridge and sink are far apart with the island between them. Maybe a prep sink in the island might improve the work triangle?:

Plan B2 - This one downgrades to a 36" fridge next to kitchen sink. It has a nice work triangle but kind of ruins the symmetry of the room and we don't really want a smaller fridge. We would possibly put the 48" fridge in this plan and re-center the kitchen sink along the remaining counter space. This plan has the island prep sink I am considering for B1 as well:

Some of my main questions at this point are:

- Is it worth opening the kitchen to the sunroom even though it limits the amout of real estate along that wall for appliances?

- Are we making too many sacrifices in B1/B2 to get the cooktop off the island?

Which plan or combination of plans do you all like the best? Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus