SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redheadk

In the midst of a remodel (lower budget)

redheadk
12 years ago

Hey everyone.

My husband and I live in a tract home in the Houston 'burbs. We bought it thinking we'd stay here for 5 years and move...yeah, 5 years later, we're still here! Due to my husband's job, and a few other factors, we've decided that we're going to stay put for another 2-3 years.

I agreed only if we did something to make the kitchen less ugly. Oak cabinets, light laminate countertops, super shallow sink...very blah and it stuck out like a sore thumb in our open floor plan house!

Luckily, my dad is a general contractor and we have a good working relationship so he's handling it for us.

So far, we've spent about $8k, not including the cost of the faucets and lighting (so another $1.5k). The only other cost will be the outlet covers if we decide to get new ones and cabinet knobs/pulls.

We're really doing more of a face lift than a remodel as we are not replacing cabinets or making any layout changes. The kitchen is an over improvement for the house (we're also doing the bathrooms) but this was the compromise my husband and I made :)

Here's what we started with:

Yuck, right?

Here's where we are now:

Details so far:

- Black Pearl granite with eased edge (we extended the bar side facing the living room by 6" and did a 45 degree angle cut on each side of the bar in the island)

- Contempo White Marble tile backsplash laid in a subway pattern (no edging) (Daltile)

- upper- and undercabinet lighting

- New sink (16-gauge stainless steel, 70/30)

- New faucet (Delta Leland)

Still to do:

- add molding to top of cabinets

- put trim back up below countertop on the island

- paint cabinets

- replace current island pendant with 3 single pendants (Currey & Co Regatta) which will require some electrical work in the attic, so it will be done in the fall

- select and install knobs and pulls (waiting to select a color after cabinets are painted)

I've lurked occasionally for a few weeks but decided to join in today :)

Comments (17)